Effect of Ethanol and Water Mixing on Randomness: A Discussion

In summary, when ethanol and water are mixed, the randomness is increased due to the formation of hydrogen bonds between the polar molecules. This leads to a state of higher entropy and a minimum energy state, as separating the mixture would require more work and result in lower disorder. This is due to the fact that mixing the two substances requires less work and can be arranged in a greater number of ways, resulting in higher disorder.
Jan Hill

Homework Statement

when ethanol an dwater are mixed, is randomness increased or decreased

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since these are miscible, I 'm equating that with 'comfortable' as a mixture and the 'comfort' being like a smaller amount of entropy than when the two are together but not mixed
However, I'm uncertain about this conclusion that I've drawn as an answer. The fact that heat is released in the process suggests to me a minimum energy favours the mixed versus the solution of one in the other. Do these ideas sound reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
ethanol is polar like water, which can form hydrogen bonds. I'm thinking that randomness should be decreased because there's some stability of the mixture.

Yes that's what I thought. Thanks for the guidance.

Would this mixture, the state of decreased randomness, constitute a state of minimum energy or maximum energy. I'm thinking this because doesn't increased randomness always go along with minimum energy?

I know the answer (mixture is always more random, meaning higher entropy, than two pure substances) but not how to explain it. Maybe the explanation is that you can't separate a mixture without spending energy.
Another thought- visualize baseballs (H2O molecules) and footballs (C2H5OH), in two separate bins. MIxing them up requires very little wok; and they can be mixed in thousands of ways (high disorder). Separating them back again to the bins takes a lot of work, and they can be arranged in fewer ways (low disorder).

1. What happens when you mix ethanol and water?

When ethanol and water are mixed, they form a homogeneous solution. This means that the molecules of ethanol and water are evenly distributed throughout the mixture, creating a uniform liquid with a single phase.

2. How does the ratio of ethanol to water affect the mixture?

The ratio of ethanol to water can affect the properties of the mixture. As the amount of ethanol increases, the mixture becomes less polar and more volatile. This means that it will have a lower boiling point and can evaporate more easily.

3. Is ethanol soluble in water?

Yes, ethanol and water are miscible, which means they can be mixed in any proportion to form a homogeneous solution. This is due to the similar molecular structures and polarity of the two substances.

4. How does temperature affect the mixing of ethanol and water?

Temperature can affect the mixing of ethanol and water. As the temperature increases, the solubility of ethanol in water also increases. This means that more ethanol can dissolve in water at higher temperatures, resulting in a less polar mixture.

5. What are the uses of ethanol and water mixtures?

Ethanol and water mixtures have a wide range of uses in various industries. They are commonly used as a solvent in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and cleaning products. They are also used as a fuel source in the form of ethanol gasoline blends, and as a disinfectant in hand sanitizers and medical settings.