The Human Body's Internal Clock: How Does It Keep Time?

In summary: We learn it by repetition and memory.In summary, the mechanism for telling time in our bodies involves pacemaker cells, specifically in the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the brain, which functions as the "master" pacemaker for the body. Recent studies suggest that other cells in the body can also act as pacemakers. This ability to keep time is controlled by clock genes and proteins, and is a learned skill through repetition and memory.
Mattius_
I was just curious as to what mechanism in our body tells time. How is it that we can count 1,2,3,4,5,6,ect to a moderate accuracy? I would guess it gaugues something harmonic, but what do I know. Any help would be Grrrreat!

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm going to guess we have no natural ability to count 1, 2, 3 etc. and that we just learn the pattern of seconds by repetition and memory.

right, natural ability... stemming from?

And yes, I do believe the ability to count does come from memory, because we compute units like seconds and minutes only after we learn them.

But like I said, this natural ability is undefined thus far, any ideas anyone?

Telling time is entirely different from counting skills. The mechanism for telling time involves pacemaker cells...cells in which clock genes function in a series of events that maintains a 24 hour rhythm. One home for these cells is in the brain...a place called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (named because it sits just above the optic chiasm, which makes sense since these cells also receive information from the retina, another place with pacemaker cells). The suprachiasmatic nucleus is considered the "master" pacemaker for the body, and that in turn tells the other cells of the body how to keep time. Though, recent studies suggest that other cells in the body can be pacemakers too. All cells that have pacemaker function have a certain complement of these clock genes, and clock proteins translated from these genes that confer this function.

There's an excellent animation that illustrates this at this site:
http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/animations/mol_mod_mamm/mamm_frames.htm

Mattius_ said:
right, natural ability... stemming from?
I said I think that we have no natural ability to count in the rhythm of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. and that it's just a learned ability.

1. What is the human body's internal clock?

The human body's internal clock, also known as the circadian rhythm, is a natural biological process that regulates the sleep-wake cycle in humans. It is controlled by a group of nerve cells in the brain called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) and responds to external cues such as light and darkness.

2. How does the internal clock keep time?

The internal clock keeps time through a complex system of genes, proteins, and hormones. The SCN receives signals from the eyes about the amount of light in the environment and uses this information to synchronize the body's activities with the 24-hour day. This process is regulated by a protein called "period," which helps to set the timing of the internal clock.

3. What factors can affect the internal clock?

The internal clock can be affected by various factors such as light exposure, shift work, jet lag, and certain medications. Changes in routine, such as staying up late or sleeping in on weekends, can also disrupt the internal clock and lead to sleep disturbances.

4. Why is the internal clock important?

The internal clock is essential for maintaining a regular sleep-wake cycle and promoting overall health and well-being. It helps to regulate various bodily functions, such as hormone production, body temperature, and metabolism. Disruptions in the internal clock have been linked to various health problems, including insomnia, depression, and obesity.

5. Can the internal clock be adjusted?

Yes, the internal clock can be adjusted through various strategies, including exposure to bright light, maintaining a regular sleep schedule, and avoiding stimulants before bedtime. However, it may take several days for the internal clock to adjust to a new schedule, so it is essential to be consistent and patient when trying to change the sleep-wake cycle.