Question on the Boiling point of NaCl solution.

In summary, the experimental boiling point of a NaCl solution is lower than the calculated value due to some of the Na+ and Cl- ions reassociating in the solution. This results in a lower concentration of NaCl than assumed in the calculations. Additionally, the calculation assumes complete dissociation, while in reality, there is some undissociated NaCl present. A more accurate calculation would take into account the measured dissociation constant of NaCl.
Choronzon
The experimental boiling point of the NaCl solution is lower than that calculated, assuming that NaCl is completely dissociated in solution. Why is this the case?

I'm thinking that this is because some of the Na+ and Cl- ions reassociate for a short time, thus causing the solution to contain somewhat less than two times the original concentration of NaCl. The phrase in the question "assuming that NaCl is completely dissociated in solution." is making me doubt this answer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
We usually discuss boiling point change in terms of concentration of dissolved substance, but it is lowered solvent concentration (molar fraction) that really matters... When you dissolve salt its molar faction goes down - first of all because total numer fo moles goes up, but that's not the only reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would that make a difference between the calculated and experimental values? I understand that the boiling point changes--but why the discrepancy between the experimental results and the calculations?

Calculated value doesn't take everything happening in the solution into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Choronzon said:
The experimental boiling point of the NaCl solution is lower than that calculated, assuming that NaCl is completely dissociated in solution. Why is this the case?
I'm thinking that this is because some of the Na+ and Cl- ions reassociate for a short time, thus causing the solution to contain somewhat less than two times the original concentration of NaCl. The phrase in the question "assuming that NaCl is completely dissociated in solution." is making me doubt this answer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I think you have it right, but it comes down to correctly interpreting the intent of an ambiguously worded question. I think the intent of the question is to tell you that the calculation assumes complete dissociation, whereas in reality, as you guessed, there is some undissociated NaCl, and this makes the actual value of the number of particles in solution lower than the calculated value.

In fact, a more accurate calculation will be based on the measured dissociation constant of NaCl, rather than assuming this is 100%.

Obviously it wasn't just my ears that froze today at -18 deg C, but also parts of my brain :grumpy: All the time I was thinking about temperature being higher, not lower...

Thanks for the help guys—I was pretty sure about my answer, but the question throws me off a bit.

1. What is the boiling point of a NaCl solution?

The boiling point of a NaCl solution depends on the concentration of the solution. A 1:1 molar ratio of NaCl to water has a boiling point of 100.7 degrees Celsius, while a 3:1 molar ratio has a boiling point of 108.1 degrees Celsius.

2. How does the boiling point of a NaCl solution compare to that of pure water?

The boiling point of a NaCl solution is higher than that of pure water. This is because the presence of the Na+ and Cl- ions disrupts the hydrogen bonding between water molecules, making it more difficult for them to escape into vapor phase.

3. Does the boiling point of a NaCl solution change with pressure?

Yes, the boiling point of a NaCl solution will change with pressure. As pressure increases, the boiling point also increases. This is because the higher pressure makes it more difficult for water molecules to escape into vapor phase.

4. Can the boiling point of a NaCl solution be used to determine the concentration of the solution?

Yes, the boiling point of a NaCl solution can be used to determine the concentration of the solution. By measuring the boiling point and comparing it to known values, the concentration can be calculated using the colligative properties of solutions.

5. How does the boiling point of a NaCl solution change as more salt is added?

The boiling point of a NaCl solution will increase as more salt is added. This is because the presence of more ions in the solution disrupts the hydrogen bonding between water molecules even further, making it even more difficult for them to escape into vapor phase.