Calculating Tension on a Plastic Ring

In summary: Roark's book is good for the non-engineer. The hard part is knowing that you have the right boundary conditions specified.
dE_logics
Imagine a ring; the image below shows the top cross section of the ring -

attachment.php?attachmentid=23389&stc=1&d=1264828883.jpg

The arrows represent forces which is acting towards the inner side of the ring cause of a pressure which applies towards it's inner side.

Assuming the ring to be made up of a material having a plastic property, I want an expression for the tension produced in the ring.

Attachments

• All in 1.jpg
    All in 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,505
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you own a copy of Roark? This looks like a ring under internal pressure. Actually, the load case you probably want is a simple shell of revolution under internal pressure. In my version its Chapter 13 load case 1b.
Hoop stress:
[tex]
\sigma = \frac{qR}{t}
[/tex]

That is pretty much the definition of the hoop stress.

I did some calculations and found that the stress should be ~63.7% of 1/4th of the total force applied by the pressure.

?

dE_logics said:
I did some calculations and found that the stress should be ~63.7% of 1/4th of the total force applied by the pressure.
I understood 1/4th of 63.7% of that post. Care to rephrase this or tell us what you are getting at?

minger said:
Do you own a copy of Roark?

is this a good book for the "techno savy" non engineer?

I would like to find a good formula book that was not a novel in "techno-ese" just formulas
(especially pressure and temp related)

dr

Roark's book is pretty good. If you are crafty enough with mathematics you can derive some of the formulas in Roark with the help of Timoshenko's book "Plates and Shells" but you better be good.:biggrin:

To answer your question:

Roark's book is good for the non-engineer. The hard part is knowing that you have the right boundary conditions specified.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.roarksformulas.com/

Be cautious of the online calculator.

Thanks
Matt

It is but you do have to have a basic understanding to fully understand it. The beginning sections of each chapter cover theory. However, it is, essentially, a book divided into different tables covering load/support scenarios with associated equations covering that scenario. I attached a typical page so you can see it.

Attachments

• Roark.pdf
    196.9 KB · Views: 493
minger said:
?

aaa...just forget the 63.7% part...I'll work on it later.

Point is hooks stress is no different from normal stress right?...I mean if hook's stress comes as 500 mega pascals, then the stress in the material is 500 mega pascals right?

The hoop stress is very easy to derive for this type of setup. There is no need for any fancy elasticity theory.

Last edited:
dE_logics said:
Point is, hooks [sic] stress is no different from normal stress, right? ... I mean, if hook's [sic] stress comes as 500 megapascals, then the stress in the material is 500 megapascals, right?
dE_logics: That is correct. Hoop stress is normal stress. Very good.

nvn said:
dE_logics: That is correct. Hoop stress is normal stress. Very good.

Sounds sarcastic.

Is there a conversion or something?

Last edited:
No. He was being serious. The hoop stress is the same thing as the normal stress because of the direction on an element that is perpendicular to a line around the circumference at some radius.

image010.gif

Attachments

• image010.gif
    image010.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 548
Oh...ok, thanks a lot people.

Need it urgently.

thanks for the book review
I'll add it to my "wish list" when I go to the used book store
if not, it looks like it is worth the $70 anyway

dr

1. How do you calculate tension on a plastic ring?

To calculate tension on a plastic ring, you need to know the weight of the object that is hanging from the ring, the length of the string or wire supporting the object, and the angle at which the string or wire is pulling on the ring. Once you have this information, you can use the formula T = mg/(cosθ), where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of the string or wire.

2. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a string or wire, when it is pulled from opposite ends. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

3. Why is it important to calculate tension on a plastic ring?

Calculating tension on a plastic ring is important because it helps determine the maximum weight that the ring can support without breaking. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and structural integrity of the ring and any objects that may be hanging from it.

4. What factors can affect tension on a plastic ring?

The tension on a plastic ring can be affected by factors such as the weight of the object hanging from the ring, the length and thickness of the string or wire supporting the object, and the angle at which the string or wire is pulling on the ring. Other environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, may also play a role.

5. Can tension on a plastic ring be negative?

No, tension on a plastic ring cannot be negative. Tension is a force that always acts in the direction opposite to the force being applied. Therefore, tension can only be positive or zero.