Applying to Grad School and GRE - Deadlines

In summary, the person is an Australian undergraduate studying law and science, planning to apply for Grad School in the US to study Physics in 2011. They are concerned about the deadlines for general GRE, physics GRE, and university applications. The GRE subject tests are only offered three times a year and require registration in advance. The person is considering taking the test in October or November, and the deadlines for fall 2011 admission are in December 2010. They also mention their experience with registering for a subject GRE.
insynC
I'm an Australian law/science undergraduate. I finish my degree at the end of this year and was hoping to apply for Grad School in the US to study Physics in 2011.

As I understand it, the key requirements are the general GRE, physics GRE and the actual applications to the universities. I have been doing some preliminary research, but am somewhat concerned about missing the relevant deadlines, so I just had a few questions.

Firstly is it correct that for 2011 intake, the university applications are generally due in December-January?

Also I was thinking of taking the GREs around August-October this year, but is this too late?

Finally has anyone else on these forums sat the GRE exams in Australia? I've found the process of organising where and when to take the exams confusing.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
the first thing you should know is that subject gres are only given a few times a year (read: 3), and that you have to register for one more than a month in advance.

i believe the three test dates are in april, october and november. if you take it in november, you can expect the scores to go out to your grad schools around december 17th or so. your schools will most likely wait for your supplementary materials beyond the application deadline, so this is alright. if you take the test in october, you should get your scores back & sent out before december. you are right about the deadlines. admission in fall 2011 = application in december 2010.

i missed the registration for the chemistry gre and had to show up for standby testing. after they had waited to the normal starting time, they let me in because there were 2 empty desks at that point. if a few more psychology majors had showed up for their subject gre, i probably would not have been allowed to take the test, so i lucked out

1. What is the deadline for applying to grad school?

The deadline for applying to grad school varies depending on the school and program. It is important to check with each individual school to determine their specific deadlines. Generally, deadlines for fall admission are in December or January, while deadlines for spring admission are in October or November.

2. How do I know if a school requires GRE scores?

Most graduate programs require GRE scores as part of the application process. However, some programs may have waived this requirement due to COVID-19. It is important to check with each individual school to determine their specific requirements.

3. When is the best time to take the GRE?

The best time to take the GRE is at least 3-4 months before your application deadlines. This gives you enough time to retake the exam if necessary and to send your scores to your desired schools in time.

4. Do all schools have the same GRE score requirements?

No, each school and program may have different GRE score requirements. It is important to research each school's requirements and aim for a score that aligns with their average or minimum accepted scores.

5. Is it possible to apply to grad school without taking the GRE?

Some schools may have waived the GRE requirement due to COVID-19. Additionally, some programs may offer alternative options for applicants, such as submitting a writing sample or having previous work experience in the field. It is important to check with each individual school to determine their requirements and if there are any alternative options available.