What is the Difference Between Absorbance and Transmittance?

• Thread starter Telmerk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorbance
In summary, absorbance and transmittance are related, with absorbance being the negative logarithm of transmittance, and both being measures of the amount of light absorbed and transmitted through a material or solution.
Telmerk
Dear Forumers,

As a non-English speaker, I am confused about absorbance and absorptance. I found some definitions on the Internet, but I am not sure if understand them well. Oxford dictionary says the following (Oxford Dictionary of Physics, 4th ED. ISBN0-19-860759-8) for abroptance: "Symbol &alpha. The ratio of the radiant or luminous flux absorbed by a body to the flux falling on it. Formerly called abroptivity, the absorptance of a black body is by definition 1."

alpha = Ia/Io, where Ia is the absorbed light, and Io is the incident light.

I found what is absorbance in the Wiki, but, telling the truth, I did not understand, even I am a bit confused about transmittance as well. (Transmittance should be the transmitted light/incident light, but then, what is absorbance? From the def. equation, it seems that absorbance is only the negative logarythm of transmittance.)

Many thanks, if you can help, or suggest literature!

Kind regards,

TtM.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Absorbance is the amount of light absorbed by a material (or solution) and is defined as the negative logarithm of the transmittance (T) of the material, i.e. A = -log10(T). It is usually expressed in units of absorbance per unit length (e.g. cm-1). The higher the absorbance, the lower the transmittance. For example, if the absorbance of a material is 0.5, then its transmittance is 0.3162. On the other hand, if the absorbance is 1, then its transmittance is 0.1. Transmittance is the amount of light that passes through a material or solution, and is defined as the proportion of incident light that is transmitted through the material or solution.

What is absorbance or absorptance?

Absorbance, also known as absorptance, is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a substance. It is often used in scientific experiments to determine the concentration of a solution or the properties of a material.

How is absorbance measured?

Absorbance is measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a substance at a specific wavelength. The higher the absorbance, the more light is absorbed by the substance.

What is the relationship between absorbance and concentration?

There is a direct relationship between absorbance and concentration. As the concentration of a substance increases, the absorbance also increases. This relationship is described by the Beer-Lambert Law, which states that absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration and path length of a substance.

How is absorbance used in scientific experiments?

Absorbance is commonly used in experiments to determine the concentration of a solution. By measuring the absorbance of a known substance at a specific wavelength, scientists can create a standard curve and use it to determine the concentration of an unknown substance.

What factors can affect absorbance measurements?

The concentration, path length, and wavelength of light used can all affect absorbance measurements. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances can also impact absorbance readings. It is important to control these variables in order to obtain accurate absorbance measurements.