The Magnetic Field of Coaxial Cables

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic induction B at different radii in a coaxial cable carrying current. Ampere's Law is used to solve for B in each case, with the net current flowing through the Amperian loop being the key factor. For part a), B * 2 * pi * r = \mu0 * I, and for part b), the value of I is different depending on the chosen Amperian loop.
Ghassan_2k

Homework Statement

A coaxial cable of length l, has a thin wall cylindrical inner conductor of radius a carrying current I. All current returns along the outer conductor whose inner radius is b.

Assuming that the current flows only in a thin layer on each conductor, determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic induction B at radius r.

a) when r<a
b) when a<r<b
c) when r>b

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint(B.dl) = \mu0 I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive just started studying magnetostatics and am a little bit confused. I think using Ampere's Law in each of the three cases is the right thing to do, but I am unsure on what the value for I is in each case.

For part a), i think B * 2 * pi * r = [tex]\mu[/tex]0 * I
but then i don't know how it differs for part b).

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]I_{enc}[/itex] in Ampere's Law is the net current flowing through your Amperean loop. So, what are you using for your Amperian loop?

1. What is the purpose of the magnetic field in coaxial cables?

The magnetic field in coaxial cables is used to contain and guide the flow of electric current, which allows for efficient transmission of signals and data.

2. How is the magnetic field created in coaxial cables?

The magnetic field in coaxial cables is created by the flow of electric current through the central conductor, which generates a circular magnetic field around the cable.

3. Does the magnetic field in coaxial cables affect the quality of the signal?

Yes, the magnetic field can affect the quality of the signal if it is not properly contained within the cable. This can lead to signal interference and loss of data.

4. How does the thickness of the insulation affect the magnetic field in coaxial cables?

The thickness of the insulation can affect the magnetic field in coaxial cables by either increasing or decreasing the strength of the field. Thicker insulation can help contain the field and reduce interference, while thinner insulation may allow for more leakage of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic field in coaxial cables be shielded or reduced?

Yes, the magnetic field in coaxial cables can be shielded or reduced by using materials such as copper or aluminum shielding around the cable. Proper grounding and insulation can also help to minimize the effects of the magnetic field.