Learn About Multivibrators and Flasher Circuits: A Step-by-Step Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit that is drawn on a website and the person asking for help is trying to understand it. They mention learning about multivibrators in their electronics classes but not fully understanding them. They attempted to explain the circuit but are unsure if their understanding is correct. They ask for a simple explanation and are directed to search for "multivibrator" on Wikipedia for a helpful explanation. The circuit in question is an "astable" multivibrator.
mishobg12
Hi,
please, help me understand this circuit that is drawn here: http://wild-bohemian.com/electronics/flasher.html

I have learned about miltivibrators (which is what I believe this is) in my electronics classes but never really understood them.

I tried understanding it myself - as the current flows trough the path of least resistance, it will flow trough the capacitors first, charging them, and then saturates the transistors, thus unlocking its way to ground trough their collector and emitter and then the capacitors will uncharge, desaturating the transistors and then back to start, but this will keep the leds always on and the bigger resistors going to the bases will not be needed. So, I am wrong.

Please, explain it in simple steps. Thank you :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try typing "multivibrator" into Wikipedia. There's an excellent explanation there. What you have is called an "astable" multivibrator.

1. How does this circuit work?

The circuit works by using a power source, such as a battery, to create a flow of electricity through different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. These components are connected in a specific way to perform a desired function.

2. What is the purpose of each component in this circuit?

The purpose of each component in the circuit depends on its specific function. For example, resistors are used to control the flow of electricity, capacitors are used to store and release electrical energy, and transistors are used to amplify or switch electrical signals.

3. How do you calculate the voltage and current in this circuit?

The voltage and current in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V=IR. The values for current and resistance can be measured using a multimeter.

4. Can you explain the function of the different types of circuits?

There are three main types of circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the current is split between them. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both series and parallel circuits.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix problems with this circuit?

To troubleshoot and fix problems with a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or connections. You can also check for loose or damaged wires and replace any damaged components. It is important to always follow safety protocols and turn off the power source before working on a circuit.