What is the electron density of stars in their atmospheres?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a list of electron densities of stars. The suggested methods for obtaining this information were using charge conservation or looking up the composition of the star. The book "Stellar Structure and Evolution" by R. Kippenhahn & A. Weigert was recommended as a possible resource, although it may not provide specific values. The conversation also discussed the different regions of the star where electron density can be measured and the importance of specifying which region is of interest.
amalmirando
Hi,
Does anybody know a place where i can find a list of electron densities of stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you only need an estimate, consider the stars to be all hydrogen. The electron density follows from charge conservation. For more accuracy, look up the composition of the star, i.e. proportions of H-He-Li-etc.

your method is ok i guess. i''m currently conducting a research in determining electron density using the stark effect..i just want to check whether the pre determined values agree with my results...of course there are various methods to determine electron densities...do you know any place where i can get the values?
thanks for the help...

Well,
You can take a look in the book "Stellar Structure and Evolution" - R. Kippenhahn & A. Weigert. Once I've used this book and they talked about electron densities in the star, but I am not sure if they give values. If you do not have access to this book in any library you tell me, so I can take a look for you.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Do you want to know the electron density in the star as a whole, or do you want the density in the core or atmosphere? If you need want the density as a whole, the estimate given is quite useful, or if you want for a Sun-like star you could also use the He abundance...

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the help...stupid of me to not mention which region...i'm looking for the electron density in the stellar atmosphere .i looked for the book you mentioned and didn't find it in our library .also looked for the ebook but it wasn't available too.
anyway ,thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is electron density and how is it related to stars?

Electron density is a measure of the number of electrons per unit volume in a given material. In stars, it is related to the number of electrons present in the plasma, which is the hot, ionized gas that makes up the majority of a star's interior.

2. How is electron density measured in stars?

Electron density in stars is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques. By analyzing the absorption or emission lines of certain elements, scientists can determine the density of the plasma in the star's atmosphere. Other methods, such as radio interferometry, can also be used to measure electron density.

3. What factors affect the electron density of a star?

The electron density of a star is influenced by several factors, including its temperature, pressure, and composition. Generally, higher temperatures and pressures result in higher electron densities, while elements with more electrons, such as metals, also contribute to higher densities.

4. How does the electron density of a star impact its properties?

The electron density of a star plays a crucial role in determining its structure and evolution. It affects the star's opacity, or its ability to absorb and emit radiation, which in turn impacts its energy production and temperature. Higher electron densities can also lead to more intense magnetic fields and stronger winds, which can influence a star's behavior and its interaction with its surroundings.

5. How does the electron density of stars vary across different types of stars?

The electron density of stars can vary significantly depending on the type of star. For example, white dwarfs, which are very dense and compact stars, have much higher electron densities than larger, less dense stars like red giants. The electron density can also change over the course of a star's lifetime, as it evolves and goes through different stages of fusion and nuclear reactions.