Exploring the Limit Product Rule: What Does it Mean?

In summary, the limit product rule states that if the limits of two functions f(x) and g(x) as x approaches c are L and M respectively, then the limit of their product is LM. To prove this, we can rewrite f(x) and g(x) as L + (f(x) - L) and M + (g(x) - M) respectively. Then by manipulating the equation for the product, we can show that it is smaller than any given epsilon value. The proof involves finding delta values for which certain inequalities hold, and picking the smallest one that satisfies all four estimates. This is done in order to show that the product is smaller than epsilon.
sponsoredwalk
In trying to prove the limit product rule I've found all explanations

to hit on a point where I lose understanding.

1: If [tex] \lim_{x \to c} f(x) \ = \ L \ and \ \lim_{x \to c} g(x) \ = \ M \ [/tex]

We define the limit as;

[tex] \ \forall \ \epsilon \ >\ 0 \ \exists \ \delta > 0 \ : \ \forall \ x \ \rightarrow \ 0\ < \ | \ x \ - \ c \ | < \delta \ \Rightarrow \ 0 \ < \ | \ f(x)g(x) \ - \ LM \ | \ < \ \epsilon [/tex]

2: Rewrite [tex] f(x) \ = \ L \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L) \ and \ g(x) \ = \ M \ + \ (g(x) \ - \ M) [/tex]

3: Rewrite [tex] f(x)g(x) \ - \ LM \ as[/tex]

[tex] [L \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L)] \ [ M \ + \ (g(x) \ - \ M) ] \ - \ LM \ = [/tex]

[tex]LM \ + \ L(g(x) \ - \ M) \ + M(f(x) \ - \ L) \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L)(g(x) \ - \ M) \ - \ lm [/tex]

[tex] L(g(x) \ - \ M) \ + M(f(x) \ - \ L) \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L)( g(x) \ - \ M) [/tex]

All this I'm fine with, but next each source I've read confuses me. I'll give the one from Thomas Calculus.

"Since f & g have limits L & M as x-->c, ∃ positive numbers δ_1, δ_2, δ_3, δ_4 such that ∀ x;

[tex]0 \ < \ |x \ - \ c| \ < \delta_1 \Rightarrow \ |f(x) \ - \ L| \ < \ \sqrt{ \frac{ \epsilon }{3} } [/tex]

[tex] 0 \ < \ |x \ - \ c| \ < \delta_2 \Rightarrow \ |g(x) \ - \ M| \ < \ \sqrt{ \frac{ \epsilon }{3} } [/tex]

[tex] 0 \ < \ |x \ - \ c| \ < \delta_3 \Rightarrow \ |f(x) \ - \ L| \ < \ \sqrt{ \frac{ \epsilon }{3(1 \ + \ |M|} } [/tex]

[tex] 0 \ < \ |x \ - \ c| \ < \delta_4 \Rightarrow \ |g(x) \ - \ M| \ < \ \sqrt{ \frac{ \epsilon }{3(1 \ + \ |L|} } [/tex]

What does this even mean and where does it come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
How you find these numbers, is perhaps a bit unclear to you. However, if you follow the proof through to the end, you will hopefully see what it does.

So apart from all this magic with the epsilons and delta's, do you agree with the statement? When you look at the definition for limit, you probably will. For example, since f(x) has limit L, I can always make |f(x) - L| as small as I want. In symbols,
[tex]
\ \forall \ \epsilon' \ >\ 0 \ \exists \ \delta' > 0 \ : \ \forall \ x \ \rightarrow \ 0\ < \ | \ x \ - \ c \ | < \delta' \ \Rightarrow \ 0 \ < \ | \ f(x) \ - \ L \ | \ < \ \epsilon'
[/tex] (*)
Now what the proof does, is simply pick two such [itex]\epsilon'[/itex] (namely [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon / 3}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon / 3(1 + |M|)}[/itex] where [itex]\epsilon, M[/itex] are given numbers, then the existence of the limit ensures that I can find values of delta' for which (*) is true.

The proof then probably goes on to pick the smallest delta of the four, such that all four estimates hold simultaneously.
Then you can plug all those estimates into
[tex]
f(x) g(x) - L M = L(g(x) \ - \ M) \ + M(f(x) \ - \ L) \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L)( g(x) \ - \ M)
[/tex]
and show that it is smaller than [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Hey thanks for the reply, well I did try to follow the proof forwards but not only does that crazy value for epsilon scare the **** out of me but I just get confused. I'l show you where;

I should have written a bit more; the absolute value in the original equation is equivalent to;

[tex] |f(x)g(x) \ - \ LM| \le \ | L(g(x) \ - \ M) \ + M(f(x) \ - \ L) \ + \ (f(x) \ - \ L)( g(x) \ - \ M) |[/tex]

[tex] \le \ | L | \ | (g(x) \ - \ M) | \ + |M| \ | (f(x) \ - \ L) | \ + \ | (f(x) \ - \ L)| |( g(x) \ - \ M) | [/tex]

but then my book goes off writing the following which I have no idea where it came from nor why you'd do it nor how you'd figure out that this is what you do.

[tex] \le ( 1 \ + \ |L| ) |g(x) \ - \ M | \ + \ (1 \ + \ |M| ) |f(x) \ - \ L | \ + \ |f(x) \ - \ L| |g(x) \ - \ M| [/tex]

Then this becomes < [tex] \frac{ \epsilon }{3} \ + \ \frac{ \epsilon }{3} \ +\sqrt{ {\frac{ \epsilon }{3}} } \sqrt{ {\frac{ \epsilon }{3}} [/tex]

And I'm lost

1. What is the limit product rule?

The limit product rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus to find the limit of a product of two functions. It states that the limit of the product of two functions is equal to the product of their individual limits, as long as those limits exist.

2. How is the limit product rule used?

The limit product rule is used to evaluate the limit of a product of two functions when the limit of each individual function is not easily determined. It can also be used to simplify more complex limits by breaking them down into smaller parts.

3. What does it mean for a limit to exist?

A limit exists if the values of a function approach a single number as the input values get closer and closer to a particular value. If the value of the function at that particular value does not approach a single number, the limit does not exist.

4. What are the conditions for the limit product rule to be applied?

The two main conditions for the limit product rule to be applied are that both functions must have a limit as the input value approaches the desired value, and the limits of both functions must exist. Additionally, the limit of the product must not be an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

5. Can the limit product rule be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the limit product rule can be extended to any number of functions. The general rule states that the limit of the product of n functions is equal to the product of their individual limits, as long as those limits exist and the limit of the product is not an indeterminate form.