Day at LHC timelapsed to 4:45 minutes

In summary: The beam energy is the number next to the word "Energy". It is measured in GeV, and is the same for Beam 1 and Beam 2. It has to be, as they use the same magnets. The numbers to the right of that are the number of protons per beam, or the beam currents, and are denoted by I(B1) and I(B2) - I is for current.It's good to be excited, but please, please, check your facts before "explaining" them to others.
rhody
Gold Member
Thought some might enjoy this, I thought it was a cool video including the synthesizer's voice...

Reminds me vaguely of Stephen Hawking's...

Even if you are not familiar with all phases of the cycle, watching this video gives you a rough idea of the time intervals to inject (with retries, about two hours, ramp to 3500 GeV, set up collimators and adjusting to squeeze the beams from 5 mm to 2 mm, then to achieve squeezed stable beams.

If you look in the upper right hand corner, you get a more frequently updated display of each beams energy levels and they vary beam 1 from around 1.1 - 1.5 GeV, and beam 2 from around 1.8 - 2.1 GeV.

Is the fact that the beams are not in fact balanced an issue, and anomaly or by design ?

As always thanks in advance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLHRtEay1Y

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
If you look in the upper right hand corner, you get a more frequently updated display of each beams energy levels and they vary beam 1 from around 1.1 - 1.5 GeV, and beam 2 from around 1.8 - 2.1 GeV.

I hate to be harsh, but this is wrong. The reason I am being less than gentle is because there is a huge amount of misinformation on the LHC going on, and things are not helped by having people who don't understand what is happening "explaining" it.

The beam energy is the number next to the word "Energy". It is measured in GeV, and is the same for Beam 1 and Beam 2. It has to be, as they use the same magnets. The numbers to the right of that are the number of protons per beam, or the beam currents, and are denoted by I(B1) and I(B2) - I is for current.

It's good to be excited, but please, please, check your facts before "explaining" them to others.

Vanadium 50 said:
I hate to be harsh, but this is wrong. The reason I am being less than gentle is because there is a huge amount of misinformation on the LHC going on, and things are not helped by having people who don't understand what is happening "explaining" it.

The beam energy is the number next to the word "Energy". It is measured in GeV, and is the same for Beam 1 and Beam 2. It has to be, as they use the same magnets. The numbers to the right of that are the number of protons per beam, or the beam currents, and are denoted by I(B1) and I(B2) - I is for current.

It's good to be excited, but please, please, check your facts before "explaining" them to others.

Thanks V_50,

I was just calling them as I saw them (and asking a clarifying question, which you adeptly answered), now it makes perfect sense, the protons per beam numbers do not have to agree.

You have every right and expectation to be proud of what has been achieved at CERN, thanks for the less than "pithy" response, I am trying to be as accurate as I can be given the amount of information I am able to access.

Rhody...

If you watch them inject, you will see during periods where only one beam is circulating, only one beam will have a reported current. These periods are probably only a few seconds long on your compressed scale, but maybe you can see them.

What is the LHC?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) in Switzerland. It is used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

What happens during a day at the LHC?

During a day at the LHC, particles are accelerated to nearly the speed of light in opposite directions and then collided. The collisions produce a tremendous amount of energy, which can be used to create and study new particles that are not found in nature.

Why is it important to timelapse a day at the LHC?

Timelapse videos of a day at the LHC provide a visual representation of the complex and intricate processes that occur during particle collisions. They also help scientists and the public understand the scale and magnitude of the LHC and its experiments.

How long is a day at the LHC?

A day at the LHC typically lasts for 24 hours, but the actual time spent running experiments and collecting data can vary depending on the specific goals of each experiment and the maintenance needs of the machine.

What can we learn from a day at the LHC?

A day at the LHC can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as the existence of new particles and the nature of dark matter. It can also help us understand the origins of the universe and how it evolved over time.