What are the effects of localized discharge in reactive ion etching?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discharge
In summary: S. M. Rossnagel, "Plasma Etching," in Handbook of Thin Film Process Technology, edited by D. J. Elliott (Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol, UK, 1995). In summary, localized discharges in reactive ion etching can occur, especially in bromine-containing plasmas, and can lead to poor etch uniformity due to arcing or sparking that damages the substrate. This can be a problem in the etching process, and it is important to understand and control these discharges for optimal results.
brad sue
HI,
I have some questions on localized discharge in reactive ion etching. I just start studying etching ... it is a bit confusing.

Please can someone explain me this sentence?
"bromine containing plasmas have the tendency to form localized discharges. Localized discharges are particularly undesirable in reactive ion etching, since they will result in poor etch uniformity."

My questions are:
1- can you please give me some reference about localized discharge OR tell me what they are?
2- why localized discharges are bad for etching uniformity?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
!Localized discharges are areas of intense electrical activity that can form in the plasma during the etching process. These discharges can cause arcing or sparking, which can damage the substrate or cause hot spots that cause uneven etching. Bromine plasmas are particularly prone to forming localized discharges, due to the higher ionization energy of bromine compared to other etching gases. The high ionization energy makes it harder to maintain a uniform plasma across the substrate, which leads to the formation of localized discharges. References: 1. J. G. Eden, "The Fundamentals of Reactive Ion Etching," Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 4, 1265 (1986). 2. P. E. Blamire, "Reactive-Ion Etching," in Handbook of Microlithography, Micromachining, and Microfabrication, Volume I, edited by P. Rai-Choudhury (SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA, 1997).

What is localized discharge in RIE?

Localized discharge in RIE (Reactive Ion Etching) is a phenomenon that occurs when the plasma generated by the reactive gases in the etching chamber is confined to a specific area on the wafer surface. This can result in non-uniform etching and damage to the surface, affecting the quality of the final product.

What causes localized discharge in RIE?

Localized discharge can be caused by a variety of factors, including the type and concentration of reactive gases, the geometry of the etching chamber, and the configuration of the electrodes. It can also be influenced by the temperature and pressure of the chamber, as well as the power and frequency of the applied RF energy.

How can localized discharge be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent localized discharge in RIE. These include optimizing the process parameters, such as gas flow rates, pressure, and power levels, to create a more uniform plasma distribution. Using a larger electrode area and avoiding sharp corners in the chamber can also help to distribute the plasma more evenly. Additionally, using a pre-treatment step, such as a plasma cleaning process, can help to remove any contaminants that may cause localized discharge.

What are the effects of localized discharge on the etching process?

Localized discharge can have a significant impact on the etching process, leading to non-uniform etching and surface damage. This can result in inconsistent etch depths and patterns, as well as reduced device performance and yield. In extreme cases, localized discharge can even cause complete failure of the etching process.

How can localized discharge be detected and monitored?

Localized discharge can be detected and monitored using various techniques, such as optical emission spectroscopy, secondary ion mass spectrometry, and laser interferometry. These methods allow for real-time monitoring of plasma parameters, such as ion density and energy, which can indicate the presence of localized discharge. Visual inspection of the wafer surface can also reveal signs of localized discharge, such as discoloration or surface damage.