Relationship between molecular momentum and electron orbital behavior

In summary: Water boils and freezes at different temperatures depending on altitude because of the atmospheric pressure. Other differences in chemical behavior have been observed, but I'm not sure what they are. Do you have any examples?
brainstorm
I don't know if this is a thermodynamics issue or a quantum mechanics one. It seems like there should be some relationship between the average heat and pressure of a system and the behavior of electrons orbiting nuclei. Does anyone know if there are any observations and experiments that have established differences in molecular behavior in different gravity situations? It seems to me that the average energy level of atomic electrons should be lower in lower gravity b/c of the reduced gravitational force determining pressure, but I can't figure out if there would be a way to measure this and I don't know what to google to research it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it be lower? The gravitational forces of a nuclei, regardless of how small, should be the same unless you somehow change the mass or gravitational constant.

But even if there was some effect the electromagnetic force is much stronger than gravitational forces.

Unless you're somehow referencing tidal forces which are not really an issue since the size of an atom is very small.

Feldoh said:
Why would it be lower? The gravitational forces of a nuclei, regardless of how small, should be the same unless you somehow change the mass or gravitational constant.

But even if there was some effect the electromagnetic force is much stronger than gravitational forces.

Unless you're somehow referencing tidal forces which are not really an issue since the size of an atom is very small.

I'm not talking about gravity between the atomic particles themselves. I'm talking about gravity having an effect on the heat-pressure ratio of a system, which would increase and possibly intensify the frequency of molecular collisions. This in turn, I would think, would impart more average momentum into the orbiting electrons, which in turn would affect their behavior.

In other words, the attractive force between the nucleus and the electrons would be the same, but the electrons would receive more KE more often from collisions with other molecules. This, I would think, would be a mechanism through which planetary gravity would affect the energy-levels of electrons orbiting a nucleus.

brainstorm said:
It seems like there should be some relationship between the average heat and pressure of a system and the behavior of electrons orbiting nuclei.

Not much of a relationship. It's only explicitly needed to understand the deviation from ideal gas behavior.

Does anyone know if there are any observations and experiments that have established differences in molecular behavior in different gravity situations?

There are no such observations, because the effect of gravity on electronic structure is far too small to be measured.

alxm said:
Not much of a relationship. It's only explicitly needed to understand the deviation from ideal gas behavior.
Why is this?

There are no such observations, because the effect of gravity on electronic structure is far too small to be measured.
Do you mean the DIRECT effect of gravity, or the effect of gravity in determining the overall pressure/density of a system?

Have there been experiments to measure electron position in lower or higher gravity situations? What about under different pressure conditions?

I guess if the effect of the Earth's gravity is not that significant at the level of individual molecules, there would be no difference between increasing pressure through gravity and doing so by containing the system and reducing the volume?

I assume that molecular KE does have an effect on electron orbit motion insofar as certain levels of heat induce chemical reactions or phase changes. I've read that water boils (and freezes?) at temperatures other than 100/0 C depending on altitude. Is this due to atmospheric pressure, gravity, or both? Have other differences in chemical behavior been observed besides phase-changes in water?

1. What is molecular momentum?

Molecular momentum refers to the motion or movement of molecules within a substance. This can include the overall translational motion of the molecules, as well as their rotational and vibrational movements.

2. How does molecular momentum affect electron orbital behavior?

Molecular momentum can influence electron orbital behavior in several ways. For example, if a molecule is rotating or vibrating, it can cause changes in the electron distribution and affect the stability of the orbitals. Additionally, the overall motion of the molecule can impact the speed and direction of electrons within it.

3. What factors influence the relationship between molecular momentum and electron orbital behavior?

The relationship between molecular momentum and electron orbital behavior is influenced by a variety of factors. Some of the key factors include the mass and size of the molecules, the strength of the intermolecular forces, and the temperature and pressure of the system.

4. Can molecular momentum be directly measured in relation to electron orbital behavior?

Yes, molecular momentum can be directly measured through various techniques such as spectroscopy, which allows scientists to observe the absorption and emission of light by molecules. This can provide information about the energy levels and electron orbital behavior within the molecule.

5. How does the relationship between molecular momentum and electron orbital behavior impact chemical reactions?

The relationship between molecular momentum and electron orbital behavior is crucial in understanding and predicting chemical reactions. For example, the speed and direction of electrons can determine the likelihood of a reaction occurring, while changes in molecular momentum can influence the stability and reactivity of the molecules involved.