Static equilibrium question

In summary, the problem involves two people of equal mass holding opposite ends of a rope, leaning back at a 15 degree angle with the vertical. The tension in the rope exerted by each person can be found by considering the forces and torques involved.
haloschief
1. Two people of equal mass are holding opposite ends of a rope and lean back 15 degrees with the vertical. What is the tension in the rope exerted by each person?

This is how attempted to solve this.
So tension is created by the force of gravity from them leaning back. So I drew a force diagram sum of the tensions in the X direction should be 0. So I found the force gravity in the X direction using Tan15=T/MG which gives me MGtan15=T.

Is this the correct way to set up the problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Ok, so I looked at this problem again and I'm still unsure about this solution. If gravity acts only on the y direction how is it possible for it to have an x-component and solve it like I just did? Should I be taking torques into account as well as the force exerted by the ground?

haloschief said:
Ok, so I looked at this problem again and I'm still unsure about this solution. If gravity acts only on the y direction how is it possible for it to have an x-component and solve it like I just did?
It doesn't. Assuming your y-axis is vertical, gravity doesn't have any x-component. I'm not really sold on your original solution either. (Kudos for recognizing that there was something fishy about it :wink:)

I think trying to do it with torque would be a good idea.

for providing your approach to solving this problem. Your understanding of tension being created by the force of gravity is correct. However, it is important to note that in this scenario, the force of gravity is acting downwards and is balanced by the normal force exerted by the ground on the two people. The tension in the rope is created by the pulling force of the two people in opposite directions.

To solve this problem, you can use the concept of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in a state of rest.

First, draw a free body diagram for one of the people. The forces acting on them are the tension in the rope (T), the normal force (N) exerted by the ground, and the force of gravity (mg).

In the vertical direction, the sum of forces is equal to zero, so N + mg = 0. This means that N = -mg.

In the horizontal direction, the sum of forces is also equal to zero, so T = 0.5mg (since the two people have equal mass).

Therefore, the tension in the rope exerted by each person is 0.5mg.

So, your approach is correct in setting up the problem and using the concept of static equilibrium. Keep up the good work!

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and not moving. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

2. How do you calculate static equilibrium?

To calculate static equilibrium, you need to consider all the forces acting on the object and use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces in any direction must equal zero. This means that the forces acting in the horizontal direction must be balanced, as well as the forces acting in the vertical direction.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state of balance where the object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium is a state of balance where the object is in motion at a constant velocity. In static equilibrium, the forces acting on the object are balanced, while in dynamic equilibrium, the forces and motion are balanced.

4. How can you tell if an object is in static equilibrium?

If an object is in static equilibrium, it will remain at rest and not move. This means that the net force acting on the object is zero, and the object is not experiencing any acceleration. Additionally, if the object is on a surface, it will not start to move or slide unless an external force is applied.

5. What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium?

Some common examples of static equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a tower standing upright, and a person standing still. These objects are in static equilibrium because the forces acting on them are balanced, resulting in no movement or acceleration.