Any universities do this type of research?

In summary: However, as you mentioned, this type of UAV has a very large wingspan, which could lead to problems with air flow and stability.
rm446
Hello,

I'm a former grad student with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering (emphasis on Dynamics and Controls) and I'm thinking of going back to school for a Ph. D. I'm very interested in technologies involving the use of endurance UAV's (UAV's designed to stay in the air for weeks at a time) with the ultimate goal of being a cheap alternative to communications satellites. I am also interested in all things autogyro/gyroplane/gyrocopter but it seems no one cares about that technology lol.

Would anyone happen to know professors or universities that do research related to either of these things?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given our current technologies with respect to UAVs, they would certainly be a more cost-effective alternative to the communications satellites of the 1970s!

However, today's communication satellites have massively greater bandwidths and orbital longevity.

Still, what most people don't realize is that communications satellites no longer carry phone and Internet signals around the world, at least not much. The vast majority is carried by fiber optic, not only throughout most countries, but also between nearly all countries, including numerous undersea trunklines between major countries like the US, UK, S. Korea, Japan, Australia, India, and the many others who're thoroughly connected these days.

As for the rest, a lot of communication runs are still made via microwave relay towers, which form the backbone of cellular phone communications in developing countries.

So! Where does that leave us with respect to communications satellites? Well, aside from satellite TV, which is still huge due to the subscriber area, even in rural areas (I think half the folks in my apartment complex have dish, as it's simply either better, cheaper, or both, despite the fact we're wired for cable six ways to Sunday), I think a lot of satellite communications is going by the wayside. Of course there's XM, but HD radio is growing rapidly, and free (aside from the commercials). XD never positioned itself as an economical replacement.

You know what, rm446, if someone develops, not drones, but simple hydrogen balloons, somewhat steerable and primarily by means of stratospheric currents, I might see them, possibly, as an economically viable alternative to comm satellites or the other alternatives, which everyone and their brother seem to be embracing these days.

Let's face it - we love free. If a radio station wants to throw in a few commercials to pay for HD radio, most of us will settle for that over paying $30 or more a month for "perfect" satellite stereo (XM) radio.

As for me, I'm mostly here at my desk, not driving around, so I get full 1080p (full HD) for many things I enjoy seeing, and via numerous means, mostly through the Internet, and often (usually) for much less than what my parents pay for cable. As for my favorite TV shows, they just don't require HD! Yes, sometimes I must wait for a download, but these days for a couple hour movie, it takes just a few minutes.

I think the cable companies are missing MASSIVE beats by not simply opening the floodgates to digital content viewable on demand on one's computer.

The wave of the future isn't in space, or even on UAVs. It's on the hardline, in fiber optic to one's door (eventually, though cable to my door has proven ridiculously fast).

rm446 said:
Hello,

I'm a former grad student with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering (emphasis on Dynamics and Controls) and I'm thinking of going back to school for a Ph. D. I'm very interested in technologies involving the use of endurance UAV's (UAV's designed to stay in the air for weeks at a time) with the ultimate goal of being a cheap alternative to communications satellites. I am also interested in all things autogyro/gyroplane/gyrocopter but it seems no one cares about that technology lol.

Would anyone happen to know professors or universities that do research related to either of these things?

Thanks!

Endurance UAV seems to have very long wings, concentrated masses... This configuration could lead to interesting aeroelastic problems.

JolileChat said:
Endurance UAV seems to have very long wings, concentrated masses... This configuration could lead to interesting aeroelastic problems.

Yes they do! And as you can see in the second photo, they're much larger than most people picture them being when they see photos without any visual reference. The Global Hawk ranges from abou 8,500 lbs empty to nearly 23,000 lbs full of fuel.

That's a little larger than your average Cessna...

Given the fact that it's made from advanced materials which give it flight performance capability far exceeding that of expected conditions and that its cruise is well into the calm, non-turbulent stratosphere, and that it's flight dynamic model and computers react far more rapidly than any turbulence, aeroelastic problems aren't an issue for this bird.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in these areas. There are definitely universities and professors conducting research in both endurance UAV's and autogyros/gyroplanes/gyrocopters. Some universities that come to mind are MIT, Georgia Tech, and Caltech, but there are many others as well. I would recommend doing some research online to find specific professors or research groups at these universities that align with your interests. You can also reach out to these professors directly to inquire about their research and potential opportunities for you to join their team. Best of luck in your search!

1. What type of research do universities typically conduct?

Universities conduct a wide range of research in various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, social sciences, humanities, engineering, and more. The type of research varies depending on the institution, its resources, and the expertise of its faculty.

2. Are there specific universities that specialize in certain types of research?

Yes, there are universities that have a strong focus on specific types of research. For example, some universities are well-known for their medical research, while others may have a strong emphasis on environmental studies or technology. It is important to research and find a university that aligns with your research interests.

3. How do universities fund their research projects?

Universities receive funding for research from various sources, including government grants, donations, and partnerships with private companies. Professors and researchers can also apply for grants and funding from external organizations to support their research projects.

4. Can undergraduate students participate in research at universities?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students. These opportunities may include internships, work-study programs, or research assistant positions. It is a great way for students to gain hands-on experience and learn about the research process.

5. Is there a specific process for proposing research ideas to universities?

Each university may have its own process for accepting research proposals. Generally, researchers or faculty members can submit proposals to the university's research committee or department for review and approval. It is important to follow the guidelines and procedures set by the university when submitting a research proposal.