Volume of a Frustrum of a Pyramid

In summary, the task is to find the volume of a frustum of a pyramid with a square base of side b, a square top of side a, and height h, using only the variables a, b, and h in the answer. The solution involves finding the side length S as a function of the cross section height x, which ranges from 0 to h. The explicit form for S(x) is given by S(x) = b + [(a-b)x]/h. The volume can then be calculated using the integral from 0 to h of ( b + [(a-b)x]/h )^2 dx, which simplifies to (1/3)*h*(a-b)^2.
Ghostscythe

Homework Statement

Find the volume, using only the variables a, b, and h in your answer.

A frustum of a pyramid with square base of side b, square top of side a, and height h:

riajvr.gif

Homework Equations

Area = length*width.

Length of side S = ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that generally when finding volume, it's going to be the integral from a[bottom] to b[top] of a cross-section's area. usually that'd just be integral[pi*r^2] a..b for a cylinder.

For this, obviously, I need to find an equation for the length side S that is a function of h, so S(h) = SL.

My first thought was (b-a)h, but that wouldn't change as the integral changes, so it's out. I can't think of a dynamic equation to suit the problem, and would appreciate help pushing me in that direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x be the height of your cross section. So x ranges from 0 to h. Let S(x) be the side length as a function of x. So S(0)=b and S(h)=a and S varies linearly in between. Now can you write an explicit form for S(x)?

Ahh, soo..S(x) = b + [(a-b)x]/hSo it would be the integral from 0..h of ( b + [(a-b)x]/h )^2 dx..

And the volume is:

V = [PLAIN]http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP105419c6ggha31a9g60d000062bg6e58533dg93g?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=117&h=36

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - got this problem right, then did another frustrum (of a cone) and got that right as well. Thanks for the pointer, appreciate it! :D

I love how this parallels the derivative formula in the easy/hard way...(1/3)*h*(a-b)^2 every time, give or take a Pi...lol.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid?

The formula for calculating the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid is (1/3)h(a^2 + ab + b^2), where h is the height of the frustrum, a and b are the lengths of the bases, and a and b are the lengths of the top and bottom bases respectively.

How is the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid different from the volume of a regular pyramid?

The volume of a frustrum of a pyramid is different from the volume of a regular pyramid because a frustrum is a pyramid with its top cut off, resulting in two bases with different sizes, while a regular pyramid has only one base.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid?

Calculating the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid is useful in construction and architecture when designing buildings with sloped or tapered roofs. It is also used in manufacturing and engineering to determine the volume of materials needed for a tapered structure or object.

Can the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space within the frustrum, and negative volumes do not have physical significance.

What units are used to measure the volume of a frustrum of a pyramid?

The volume of a frustrum of a pyramid is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic feet. The units will depend on the units used for the height and bases of the frustrum.