Plotting orbitals/density from NWCHEM output

In summary, the conversation is about difficulties in viewing detailed output from NWCHEM compared to other programs like Gaussian or GAMESS. The speaker is struggling to find the right settings in the input file to view the desired information and is currently using gOpenMol, but is also considering using molekel as an alternative. The suggested solution is to open the cube file and adjust the isosurface value in the surfaces menu to view the desired information.
Einstein Mcfly
Hello all. Does anyone have any experience in viewing the more detailed output from NWCHEM? It's easy for Gaussian or GAMESS where the outputs themselves are inputs for molden or other programs, but for NWCHEM you have to specify in the input file exactly what sort of output you want for the orbitals etc and I can't figure out how to look at things.

Supposedly once you convert the .cube file you can look at it with gOpenMol, but so far it doesn't seem to be able to do what I want and is difficult to use. There are keywords that you can add in the input file to output the info needed by molden to view the orbitals, but when I try to do this the orbitals don't show up in the viewing menu.

Does anyone have any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
i use molekel:
open cube file, then go to surfaces > grid data
pick the value of the isosurface ("value" i think). if you want to plot +ve and -ve, open the cube file twice and set +ve for one molecule and -ve for the other.
hope this helps. i don't know about gOpenMol, but I think that requires some configuration of the cube file.

1. What is the purpose of plotting orbitals/density from NWCHEM output?

The purpose of plotting orbitals/density from NWCHEM output is to visualize the electronic structure of a molecule or system. This can help in understanding the chemical bonding, reactivity, and properties of the system.

2. How can I plot orbitals/density from NWCHEM output?

You can plot orbitals/density from NWCHEM output using visualization software, such as VMD or GaussView. These programs allow you to import the NWCHEM output file and generate 3D plots of the orbitals or electron density.

3. What is the difference between plotting orbitals and plotting density?

Plotting orbitals shows the distribution of electrons in a specific energy level, while plotting density shows the overall electron density in the system. Orbitals can provide information about the location and shape of electrons, while density gives a more general picture of the electronic structure.

4. Can I customize the plot of orbitals/density from NWCHEM output?

Yes, you can customize the plot by adjusting parameters such as the isosurface value, color scheme, and orientation. This allows you to highlight specific features or make the plot more visually appealing.

5. What information can be obtained from plotting orbitals/density from NWCHEM output?

Plotting orbitals/density from NWCHEM output can provide information about the electronic structure, molecular symmetry, and chemical properties of a system. It can also be used to compare different conformations or predict the behavior of a molecule in different environments.