Where is the centre of mass for a flat sheet of metal bounded by y=x^4 and y=5?

In summary: A=\int_0^5 \int_{-x^{1/4}}^{x^{1/4}}dydxIn summary, the homework statement is asking for a solution to determine the position of the centre of mass of a flat sheet of metal of homogeneous density, within the area bounded by the equations y=x^4 and y=5. However, the student is having trouble finding the correct integral to solve for the position of the CoM. First, they drew a picture to help them visualize the problem. Next, they divided the area into horizontal slices of thickness dy, expressed the length of a slice at a given height y as a function
TobyDarkeness

Homework Statement

determine the position of the centre of mass of a flat sheet of metal of homogeneous density rho. The sheet lies within the area bounded by the equations y=x^4 and y=5

Homework Equations

integral centre mass

The Attempt at a Solution

a slightly trivial question, i know how to set up the correct integral when finding the centre of mass below the function curve bound by an x=? but with the area above the curve in this manner I am finding problems. Should i treat the graph on its side or change the graph form to fit in the other direction. or find the integrals below both functions and do a subtraction to find the positions?

Physics news on Phys.org
TobyDarkeness said:

Homework Statement

determine the position of the centre of mass of a flat sheet of metal of homogeneous density rho. The sheet lies within the area bounded by the equations y=x^4 and y=5

Homework Equations

integral centre mass

The Attempt at a Solution

a slightly trivial question, i know how to set up the correct integral when finding the centre of mass below the function curve bound by an x=? but with the area above the curve in this manner I am finding problems. Should i treat the graph on its side or change the graph form to fit in the other direction. or find the integrals below both functions and do a subtraction to find the positions?

First, draw a picture!

Then either divide the area into horizontal slices of thickness [itex]dy[/itex], express the length of a slice at a give height [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]y[/itex] and integrate, or divide it into veritical slices of width [itex]dx[/itex], express the height of a slice at a given [itex]x[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] and integrate.

thats the method I am used to, on which I've found simple enough with other examples but i can't seem to build the correct integral with this set up.

TobyDarkeness said:
thats the method I am used to, on which I've found simple enough with other examples but i can't seem to build the correct integral with this set up.

Show your attempt.

ok so I am not sure how to integrate for the area above the line, so here's my attempt.
i don't have a scanner so i don't have a diagram to show you. I turned the graph on its side and reversed the axis (tried to cheat a bit here) so my x co ords would be my y.

y=x^4, y=5

switching it, x=4th root (y) and x=5 but where i have "y" its my new x axis.

so using this i did the integration for the horizontal position as normal,
[integral xydx]/[integralydx]
doing this i get 5 as my horizontal co-ord which is actually my vertical since i switched it, here i can already see I've gone wrong. but i followed through with the vertical anyway and obtained 0.66 as my other position.

i made a second attempt with the limits +/- 4th root 5, integrating first y=5 then y=x^4 in both x and y directions then subtracting one from the other to find the positions in the area bounded. but i can see already from the first integration that this is also wrong.

how do i obtain the position of the centre of mass in this bounded area above the function line??

thanks in advance.

TobyDarkeness said:
so using this i did the integration for the horizontal position as normal,
[integral xydx]/[integralydx]
doing this i get 5 as my horizontal co-ord which is actually my vertical since i switched it, here i can already see I've gone wrong. but i followed through with the vertical anyway and obtained 0.66 as my other position.

What were your limits of integration?

for this attempt i used 5, 0 as my limits treating the y=5 as x=5 bound by the 4th root curve and the origin.

TobyDarkeness said:
for this attempt i used 5, 0 as my limits treating the y=5 as x=5 bound by the 4th root curve and the origin.

Your problem is that the length of each ribbon with thickness [itex]dx[/itex] isn't just [itex]y[/itex], you need to use a double integral. For the area of the region, you should have

[tex]A=\int_0^5 \int_{-x^{1/4}}^{x^{1/4}}dydx[/tex]

Do you see why?

For the horizontal and vertical positions of the CoM, you just insert either x or y (and rho) into that double integral and then divide by the area.

sorry i think I am missing something can you explain why i need to use the double integral, I've not been working for a long time now my maths is rusty. so i need to use the double integral but in the same way with the surface area density process, for the area should i sub in for y, y=x^4 as normal you should i do an integral subtraction to get the area of the enclosed space.

rho=m/A, so then dm=rho*dA, which means that
[tex]m=\int \int \rho dA[/tex]

then

[tex]x_{cm}=\frac{\int \int \rho x dA}{m}[/tex]

and

[tex]y_{cm}=\frac{\int \int \rho y dA}{m}[/tex]

Oh yeah, and hint: before you even start, what should x_cm be?

should there be a integral on the bottom as well? [tex]\int[/tex]dm? by xcm do you mean the limits of integration for the x position or should i be able to intuitively understand where the x position should be? at a guess i would say the origin on the axis, and therefore do i need to only calculate the y position?

Yes, exactly, intuitively you should be able to guess that the x_cm will be on the axis, and mathematically you see it very soon because you are integrating an odd function over symmetric bounds.

There is an integral on the bottom, yes, it's the integral for m I have at the beginning of my post.

Oh yeah, and also you don't have to do the exact integral that gabba posted, you could integrate with respect to x first if you really wanted. You'd have to do slightly more work to get the right x bounds.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up an object. This can be done using the formula:
xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
where xcm is the center of mass, mn is the mass of each particle, and xn is the position of each particle.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects. It is also useful for determining the stability of objects and predicting their behavior in different situations.

What factors affect the center of mass?

The center of mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object. The shape, size, and density of an object can also affect its center of mass.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is known as an unstable equilibrium, where the object is balanced on a point rather than a stable base. In this situation, the slightest disturbance can cause the object to fall over.