Conversion to 8.68us units

• Thread starter Wetmelon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: So on and so forth.In summary, the conversation is about converting time in milliseconds to time in 8.68 microsecond units and counting pulses to determine RPM. The conversion is done by dividing the time in milliseconds by 8.68, with the resulting number representing the time in 8.68 microsecond units. The formula for converting pulses to RPM is R(n_p) = 6000n_P, where R is the RPM and n_p is the number of pulses.
Wetmelon
Hi all,

I'm running a microcontroller that has me program times in 8.68microsecond units, and I'm having an issue converting 10ms to 8.68us units, then counting a number (scalar) then taking that number and getting RPMs from it.

Here's what I have so far:

10ms = 10,000us

10,000us/8.68 ~ 1152 (8.68us units) --> Is this right?

The program counts a number of pulses for 10ms, and returns that value, for example, in 10ms at 6,000 RPM I should see

6,000RPM = 100R/s (Hz) = 1R/10ms = 1 pulse

Then I want to convert from the one pulse back up to RPMs, so I need a scalar, I guess 6000 would be correct across all RPMs?

I feel like I've made a mistake here somewhere, but have I done this correctly?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A bit late, but in case someone else has a similar question:
Wetmelon said:
10,000us/8.68 ~ 1152 (8.68us units) --> Is this right?
To the nearest unit, yes.
Wetmelon said:
6,000RPM = 100R/s (Hz) = 1R/10ms = 1 pulse
That works for me.
Wetmelon said:
Then I want to convert from the one pulse back up to RPMs, so I need a scalar, I guess 6000 would be correct across all RPMs?
Yes, if I understand what you mean. There's a linear relationship between the number of pulses and the RPM, according to this formula: ##R(n_p) = 6000n_P##. If there is one pulse (##n_p = 1##), then R = 6000 (rev. per min). If there are two pulses, R = 12,000.

1. What is the formula for converting to 8.68us units?

The formula for converting to 8.68us units is to multiply the given value by 8.68.

2. Can I convert any unit to 8.68us units?

Yes, you can convert any unit to 8.68us units as long as you know the conversion factor or formula.

3. How do I convert from seconds to 8.68us units?

To convert from seconds to 8.68us units, multiply the number of seconds by 8.68 x 10^-6.

4. What is the significance of 8.68us units in scientific measurements?

8.68us units are commonly used in scientific measurements because they represent a very small unit of time, making them useful for measuring processes that occur on a microsecond scale.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when converting to 8.68us units?

One common mistake to avoid when converting to 8.68us units is forgetting to include the conversion factor of 10^-6 when converting from larger units such as seconds or milliseconds.