Mechanical Engineering Major -> Aerospace

In summary, a mechanical engineering major does not include an aerospace program at this university, but there are two concentrations available: mechanics and materials, and robotics and controls. It is possible to pursue a master's in aerospace engineering after completing a bachelor's in mechanical engineering, as it is common for students to transition from ME to AeroE for graduate studies. It may be beneficial to speak with a school advisor to explore career options and determine if pursuing this major is the right choice.
xjon22
Mechanical Engineering Major --> Aerospace

The university that I am attending does not have an aerospace program, however we do have mechanical engineering. I was wondering what my concentration in mechanical engineering would be if I wanted to pursue aerospace afterwards. The two concentrations are:

1. Mechanics and Materials Area
(Encompasses force and motion analysis and the design of mechanical devices)

2. Robotics and Controls Area
(Deals with automated manufacturing techniques and the control of motion or processes)

My second question would be, if I get my bachelor's of science in mechanical engineering, would I be able to pursue a master's in aerospace engineering?

Side note: I have not spoken to a school advisor yet because I am still questioning myself whether or not I should pursue this major.

Physics news on Phys.org

You could do either specialization and them move into AeroE later and yes, it is quite easy to move from ME undergrad to AeroE grad.

I know a couple people who did Mech E and moved on to Aero for grad work. I also have a prof who did petroleum engineering and later got a PhD in Aero.

1. What is a mechanical engineering major?

A mechanical engineering major is an academic program that focuses on the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. It combines elements of physics, mathematics, and materials science to understand how mechanical systems work and can be improved.

2. How does a mechanical engineering major relate to aerospace?

Aerospace engineering is a specialized field within mechanical engineering that focuses on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace systems. A mechanical engineering major provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and concepts that are essential for understanding and working in the aerospace industry.

3. What skills do I need to excel in a mechanical engineering major with a focus on aerospace?

To excel in a mechanical engineering major with a focus on aerospace, you will need strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, having strong communication, teamwork, and computer skills can also be beneficial for a successful career in the aerospace industry.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a mechanical engineering major in aerospace?

Graduates with a mechanical engineering major in aerospace have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in the aerospace industry as design engineers, research and development engineers, quality control engineers, or project managers. They can also pursue careers in other industries such as automotive, defense, and robotics.

5. What is the future outlook for those with a mechanical engineering major in aerospace?

The future outlook for those with a mechanical engineering major in aerospace is promising. With the increasing demand for air and space travel and the advancements in technology, there will be a growing need for skilled engineers in the aerospace industry. This major provides a strong foundation for a successful and fulfilling career in a rapidly evolving field.