Playing with Small Natural Numbers Network

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's pet project on natural numbers network and their hope for new ideas to emerge from sharing it with the community. They acknowledge that number theory would be more appropriate, but hope that the community will find something interesting in the results. They provide a link to their blogpost for the analysis of common properties of networks. The conversation also includes suggestions for general reading and the possibility of collaboration on similar interests.
networks
Since my late interests have been related to networks, I've started a pet project focusing on natural numbers network. I wanted to share my early explorations with this community since you have the proper background to interpret the results. I chose this network exactly because compared to real-world networks that are in my focus during the daytime, numbers network has been analysed for centuries and I hope that new ideas will emerge from this interaction. I acknowledge that for given topic, using number theory would be more appropriate, but hopefully you will find something interesting in the results. Please note that I do not have background in number theory.

Since the report is rather long and includes diagrams, I'm posting a link to my blogpost. You can expect to find there analysis of the common properties of networks.
http://www.ideavoid.com/blog/2010/10/playing-with-small-natural-num.html

Looking forward for your feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Networks,

Can I take it that you are familiar with the work of Barabasi as well as Strogatz and Watts? While I might be the wrong guy to give you the manner of feedback you are looking for, if only because I have similar interests as you and also have no formal number theory training, what I can tell you is that there are others out there thinking in similar manner as you are. By way of example, the long term project I am working on?

"Organic Symmetry: Explorations in Linking Lattices and Matrices to the Unification of Social & Physical Spaces"
(title provisional)

I'll try to take a closer look at your report at some point in the near future.RaphieSome suggested general reading if you haven't already read these books:

Consilience - E.O Wilson
Nexus - Mark Buchanan
Critical Mass - Philip Ball
Linked - Albert Laszlo Barabasi
The Music of the Primes - Marcus du Sautoy
Why Beauty Is Truth: A History of Symmetry- Ian Stewart

Also...

Gut Feelings - Gerd Gigerenzer
The Singularity is Near - Ray Kurzweil
Here Comes Everybody - Clay Shirky

Last edited:
Thanks Raphie, I've read only some of the general reading you suggested. Looking forward for your feedback - my daily work is related to global social networks.

CRG, as for your comment on the choice of the generated network in mymathforum - since it was based on intuition, I'll need to take a moment to revisit that part.

I find your pet project on natural numbers network to be very interesting. It is always exciting to see individuals exploring new areas of research and finding new connections between different fields. I appreciate your acknowledgement of using number theory for this topic, but I believe your approach of using network analysis can also provide valuable insights.

I have read through your blog post and found your analysis of the common properties of networks to be well thought out and presented. It is fascinating to see how similar patterns emerge between real-world networks and the natural numbers network. I also agree with your point that the long history of analyzing natural numbers can potentially lead to new ideas and perspectives in the study of networks.

As for feedback, I would suggest considering incorporating some theoretical frameworks from network science into your analysis. This could help provide a more comprehensive understanding of the properties and behaviors of the natural numbers network. Additionally, it may also be interesting to explore how the natural numbers network evolves over time, similar to how real-world networks evolve.

Overall, I commend your efforts in this project and I look forward to seeing how it develops in the future. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the "Playing with Small Natural Numbers Network"?

The "Playing with Small Natural Numbers Network" is a network of scientists and mathematicians who study the properties and patterns of small natural numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.). This network aims to better understand the behavior of these numbers and their applications in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and physics.

2. What are some examples of small natural numbers?

Small natural numbers refer to positive integers that are generally considered to be small enough to be easily manageable and understandable. Examples include 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on.

3. What is the significance of studying small natural numbers?

Small natural numbers play a crucial role in various mathematical concepts and calculations. They also have practical applications in fields such as coding, cryptography, and game theory. Studying these numbers can help us better understand their properties and patterns, leading to advancements in these areas and beyond.

4. How do scientists and mathematicians study small natural numbers?

Scientists and mathematicians use various methods, including computational simulations, mathematical proofs, and experiments, to study small natural numbers. They also collaborate and share their findings with others in the "Playing with Small Natural Numbers Network" to further advance the understanding of these numbers.

5. Can anyone join the "Playing with Small Natural Numbers Network"?

Yes, anyone with a passion for studying small natural numbers is welcome to join the network. The network encourages collaboration and welcomes diverse perspectives from scientists, mathematicians, and individuals from other fields who are interested in this area of study.