Immersion and Manifold Question

• Thread starter evalover1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, considering a compact n-dimensional manifold M and using Whitney's Immersion Theorem, we can define an immersion f: M -> R_2n and f*: TM -> R_2n. By the definition of immersion, f* must be one-to-one. If we let x be a regular value of f*, we can show that the inverse image of x (with respect to f, not f*) consists of finitely many points by proving that there are only finitely many preimages of x in the compact set C = {(p, v) in TM : |v| <= 1}. This can be done by assuming the opposite, and showing that df_p(w) = 0, which implies
evalover1987

Homework Statement

Let's assume that M is a compact n-dimensional manifold,
then from Whitney's Immersion Theorem,
we know that there's an immersion, f: M -> R_2n, and
let's define f*: TM --> R_2n such that
f* sends (p, v) to df_x (v).
Since f is an immersion, it's clear that f* must be one-to-one by definition of immersion.
let "x" be a regular value of f*, then how would you show that
the inverse image of x (with respect to f, not f*) consists of finitely many points?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reduced the problem to this. Once I show that there are only finitely many preimages (with respect to f, not f*) of
x in the compact set C = {(p, v) in TM : |v| <= 1}, I'm done.
I tried to prove it using proof by contradiction, so
I assumed that there are infinitely many points in that set, then we obviously,
there's a subsequence such that
pi --> p vi --> w for some (p, w) in C
by properties of a compact set.
Then once I show that df_p(w) = 0, I'm done, but
I'm struggling to show how that would work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read somewhere that df_p(w) = 0 iff w is tangent to f(M), but I'm having trouble understanding the implications of that statement.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

1. What is immersion in mathematics?

Immersion is a concept in mathematics that describes a mapping or transformation between two mathematical spaces that preserves local curvature and distances. In other words, it is a smooth and continuous function that maintains the shape of the original space.

2. What is a manifold in mathematics?

A manifold is a mathematical space that locally resembles Euclidean space, meaning that it can be described by a set of coordinates and equations. It is a generalization of the concept of a surface, as it can have any number of dimensions.

3. How are immersion and manifold related?

Immersion and manifold are related in that an immersion is a type of mapping that can be used to transform one manifold into another. In other words, an immersion is a way to "wrap" one manifold onto another, while preserving the local properties of each space.

4. What are some examples of manifolds?

Some common examples of manifolds include spheres, tori, and surfaces such as the surface of a cube or a cylinder. Additionally, higher dimensional manifolds can be described as spaces with a certain number of dimensions, such as a 4-dimensional sphere or a 5-dimensional torus.

5. Why are immersion and manifold important in mathematics?

Immersion and manifold are important concepts in mathematics because they allow for the study and understanding of complex and abstract spaces. They also have applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering, where they are used to model and analyze real-world systems and phenomena.