Understanding Trash Collector Capacity for Managing Large Files

• Thread starter Casio
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deleting files on a computer and the use of a trash collector or recycle bin to store them temporarily. The speaker also mentions the configuration of the recycle bin and the fact that actual files are not permanently deleted until they are removed from the recycle bin. The conversation also includes a reference to a support article from Microsoft for further information.
Casio
I deleted many files on my computer, a message appeared, "your file is so BIG, I can't put it in" (something similer like that). I then had to stop or I would hurt it badly. So, can you tell me how big a trash collector is? How many megabytes of files it can contain ?
Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can configure this, which OS are you using?

Windows xp and 2000 right click the recycle bin and choose properties. From here you can desided how big of a percentage of a drive the recycle bin is in the recycle bin can use!

Actual files are not placed in the recycle bin, only locators, however these files still are located on your hard drive and the space cannot be used until they are removed permanently from the recycle bin.

True:

Also files are never deleted from your harddrive just the associated file pointers are, when the file is "removed" from the recycle bin, The file could well be there for a long time until you eventually overwrite the data...

The recycle bin is only an object anyway that is associated with a hidden 'folder' on every harddrive where all 'deleted' files pointers are placed...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q136517

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a trash collector and how does it relate to managing large files?

A trash collector is a system feature that is responsible for managing the deletion and storage of files on a computer. It is important for managing large files because it helps to free up storage space and ensures that the computer is functioning efficiently.

2. How does the trash collector determine the capacity for managing large files?

The trash collector determines the capacity for managing large files by monitoring the available storage space on the computer and setting a limit for how much space can be used for storing deleted files. Once this limit is reached, the trash collector will automatically delete the oldest files to make room for new ones.

3. Can the capacity of the trash collector be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the capacity of the trash collector can be changed or adjusted. Most operating systems have settings that allow you to adjust the maximum storage space for deleted files. However, it is important to consider the overall storage capacity of your computer and not set the limit too high to avoid potential performance issues.

4. How often does the trash collector run and delete files?

The frequency of the trash collector running and deleting files varies depending on the operating system and user settings. Some systems may have regular scheduled intervals for running the trash collector, while others may run it in the background whenever the computer is idle. It is also possible for users to manually run the trash collector to free up space.

5. Are there any risks to using the trash collector for managing large files?

There are minimal risks to using the trash collector for managing large files. However, it is important to periodically review the deleted files in the trash bin to ensure that any important files were not accidentally deleted. Additionally, if the trash collector is set to a high capacity limit, it may slow down the performance of the computer. It is recommended to regularly empty the trash bin to avoid any potential issues.