PhD areas in Mechanical Engineering.

In summary, this person is interested in pursuing a career in Physics but due to some reasons, could not get admitted into a Physics major degree. They took up Mechanical Engineering as it deals with thermodynamics and fluid mechanics extensively, but they want to learn more about areas like quantum mechanics and relativity. They are interested in pursuing a career in Physics but have doubts about whether it is possible in India. They think about going to the US but are worried about the required degree.
Urmi Roy
Hi,
I am basically very interested in Physics,and right from when I was in school,I wanted to take up a career in Physics. However,due to certain reasons,I could not get admitted into a Physics major degree.
In order to stay as close to main stream Physics as possible,I took up Mechanical Engineering,as it deals with thermodynamics and fluid mechanics extensively,which are two of my favourite topics. However,I want to learn more about areas like quantum mechanics,relativity,etc which I have always been fascinated about.

Is there any area of Mechanical Engieering which deals with subjects like quantum mechanics and relativity,on which I could do my post graduation and later PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both QM and relativity are more physics and electrical engineering. You might be able to do something with particle accelerators which deal with both disciplines, but again that's more of a physics domain than a mechanical engineering domain.

What about Thermodynamics?The microscopic point of view(i.e statistical mechanics),of Thermodynamics might give me an opportunity to look into quantum mechanics also,couldn't it?

Okay,so if there are no fields of mechanical engineering that deal with quantum mechanics or relativity,could someone tell me about some areas that I could pursue for my post -grads and PhD, that would bring me atleast close to mainstream Physics?

Why exactly can't you just major in physics? Surely you could switch sometime in the next few years?

Well,in India,switching from Engineering to mainstream Physics is very rare and people don't really look at it in a positive way...I could try going to the US,but I would have to clear the PGRE,for which I would further have to do the entire syllabus of the B.Sc Physics course during or after my Engineering course-impossible!Ofcourse,I do have PGRE in mind,but I don't think it's a good idea to depend on it too much.

What are the different PhD areas in Mechanical Engineering?

The different PhD areas in Mechanical Engineering include:

• Thermofluids and Energy Systems
  • Materials Science and Engineering
  • Design and Manufacturing
  • Dynamics and Control
  • Mechanics and Structures

What is the focus of research in Thermofluids and Energy Systems?

The focus of research in Thermofluids and Energy Systems is on understanding and improving the transfer and conversion of energy in mechanical systems. This includes areas such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and energy conversion processes.

What types of materials are studied in Materials Science and Engineering?

In Materials Science and Engineering, researchers study the properties, structure, and behavior of various materials, including metals, polymers, ceramics, and composites. They also investigate how these materials can be manipulated and optimized for specific applications.

What does research in Dynamics and Control involve?

Research in Dynamics and Control involves studying the motion and behavior of mechanical systems, and developing methods to control and optimize their performance. This can include topics such as robotics, vibration analysis, and control systems design.

What is the focus of research in Mechanics and Structures?

The focus of research in Mechanics and Structures is on understanding the behavior of solid structures and materials when subjected to external forces. This can include areas such as mechanics of materials, structural analysis, and finite element methods.