How to calculate a simple rate of return

• Thread starter bobbo7410
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation is about a scenario where $1000 is invested with a yearly return of $150 for 5 years, with a salvage value of $1000 at the end. The confusion arises from the stated rate of return of 15% and how it is calculated. The conversation then explores a similar scenario with a different initial investment and salvage value, leading to further confusion about the rate of return. The final point is that while the stated rate of return is 7.5% per year, the overall return is closer to 5%.
bobbo7410
I'm reading an example in the book, and I simply can't wrap my mind around it...

It's claiming you invest $1000 and get back $150 per year for 5 years. At the end of 5 years the salvage value is $1000 (if that matters).

It claims the Rate of Return is 15%, yet for the life of me I can't figure out where they got that 15%...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They mean 15% a year, not overall.

JonF said:
They mean 15% a year, not overall.

I thought that originally... yet the next one shows investing $2000, and $150 year for 6 years (salvage value of 2700). The rate of return is shown at 11.8%, which throws off my initial logic... hence my confusion.

I'm not sure how to implement the salvage value, etc.

bobbo7410 said:
I thought that originally... yet the next one shows investing $2000, and $150 year for 6 years (salvage value of 2700). The rate of return is shown at 11.8%, which throws off my initial logic... hence my confusion.

You get 7.5% per year, but you also turn $2000 into $2700 over 6 years, which is itself something like a 5% yearly return.

Calculating a simple rate of return is a useful tool for evaluating the success of an investment. The formula for calculating this rate is (gain from investment - cost of investment) / cost of investment. In this example, the gain from the investment is the total amount received after 5 years, which is $750 ($150 per year for 5 years). The cost of the investment is $1000.

Using the formula, we can calculate the rate of return as follows:
($750 - $1000) / $1000 = -0.25 or -25%

However, the book may have used a different formula to calculate the rate of return. It is possible that they took the total gain from the investment ($750) and divided it by the initial investment ($1000) to get a rate of return of 0.75 or 75%. This is known as the average annual rate of return.

It is important to note that there are different ways to calculate a rate of return and it is important to understand which method is being used in order to interpret the results accurately. Additionally, the salvage value of $1000 at the end of 5 years may have affected the calculation in some way, but without more context it is difficult to determine its impact on the rate of return.

I would recommend reviewing the formula used in the book and understanding the assumptions and variables involved in the calculation. It may also be helpful to seek clarification from the author or a knowledgeable source to better understand the concept. As a scientist, it is important to critically evaluate and understand the methods and results presented in any source.

What is a simple rate of return?

A simple rate of return is a financial metric that measures the percentage change in the value of an investment over a specific period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in value of the investment by the initial value and expressing it as a percentage.

How do I calculate a simple rate of return?

To calculate a simple rate of return, you need to find the difference between the final value and the initial value of the investment. Then, divide that difference by the initial value and multiply by 100 to get the percentage change.

What is the formula for calculating a simple rate of return?

The formula for calculating a simple rate of return is: (Final value - Initial value) / Initial value * 100.

Can a simple rate of return be negative?

Yes, a simple rate of return can be negative if the final value of the investment is lower than the initial value. This indicates a loss on the investment.

What is a good rate of return?

A good rate of return depends on the type of investment and the market conditions. Generally, a rate of return that is higher than the average rate of return for similar investments is considered good.