Bessel function Solution to Second order ODE with exponential coefficient

In summary, the homework statement is that find the general solution to x'' + e^(-2t)x = 0, where '' = d2/dt2. The Attempt at a Solution starts with a change of variables and finds that du/dt = -e^(-t)*dx/du*du/dt = -e^(-t)*dx/du. Subbing into the ODE, the coefficients are just u^2. The Sin and Cos solutions are found by using the general solution to ODEs and noticing that the function of t shouldn't be in front of the bessel functions. However, the answer wants Bessel functions, so a substitution is made. y(t) is found to
phil ess

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to x'' + e^(-2t)x = 0, where '' = d2/dt2

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

First I did a change of variables: Let u = e^(-t)

Then du/dt = -e^(-t)

dx/dt = dx/du*du/dt = -e^(-t)*dx/du

d2x/dt2 = d/du(dx/dt)du/dt = e^(-2t)*d2x/du2

Subbing into the ODE, I get:

e^(-2t)*d2x/du2 + e^(-2t)x = 0

And I notice that the coefficients are just u^2

(u^2)x'' + (u^2)x = 0

Now at this point I could just cancel out the u^2 and get my sin and cos solutions, but the answer wants Bessel functions, so I use the general solution to ODEs of the form:

x2y'' + x(a+2bxr)y' + [c+dx2s-b(1-a-r)xr+b2x2r]y = 0

with a=0,b=0,c=0,d=1,s=1

The solution is then x(u) = u1/2Zp(u)

With p = 1/2

Or

x(t) = e^(-t/2)[c1*J1/2(e-t+c2*J-1/2(e-t)]

But this isn't the correct answer. There shouldn't be any function of t in front of the bessel functions, and I should be getting Y's and J's of integer order, not just J's of half-integer order.

If anyone has any insights please help!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like you're not handling the derivatives and substitutions correctly. I tell you what, suppose I just write it as:

[tex]y''+e^{-2x}y=0[/tex]

just so it's in the form of Wolfram Mathworld syntax for Bessel Differential equation then suppose you make the independent-variable substitution:

[tex]x=-\ln(t)[/tex]

can you now then transform the DE from y as a function of x to a DE in terms of y as a function of t? Once you do that, then compare the resulting DE to the requisite form on the Mathworld site and then back-substitute [itex]t=e^{-x}[/itex].

Last edited:
I've tried your idea, and it looks like that's pretty much what I've been doing the whole time, so I can't see where I'm going wrong. Here's what I did:

Where am I going wrong? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Phil, when you post a real wide picture, it messes up the scrolling of the thread. You wanna' remove that please or post a smaller picture so it doesn't run off the right side of my screen? Look, how about we carefully start from the beginning in nicely-formatted latex. I'll start it for you:

We have:

[tex]y''+e^{-2x}y=0[/tex]

Now let:

[tex]x=-ln(t)[/tex]

then:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}(-\frac{1}{t})[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}&=\frac{1}{t^2}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{1}{t}\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\\
&=\frac{1}{t^2}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{1}{t}\left(\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dt}\right)
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Now, can you then follow what I did and then substitute all that into the original equation in x to obtain a DE in t?

Your process makes perfect sense. I've arrived at the desired result! Thanks for clarifying the steps!

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a mathematical function that is used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly those involving circular and cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

2. How is a Bessel function used to solve second order ODEs with exponential coefficients?

A Bessel function can be used to solve second order ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with exponential coefficients by transforming the equation into a Bessel equation, which can then be solved using Bessel functions. The Bessel function solution can then be used to find the general solution to the original ODE.

3. What are some applications of Bessel functions in science?

Bessel functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are commonly used to describe the behavior of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves. They also have applications in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

4. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several types of Bessel functions, including the first kind (J), second kind (Y), modified Bessel functions (I and K), and spherical Bessel functions (j and y). Each type has its own specific properties and applications.

5. Can Bessel functions be used to solve other types of differential equations?

Yes, Bessel functions can be used to solve other types of differential equations, such as partial differential equations and boundary value problems. They are a powerful tool in mathematical analysis and have many diverse applications in various fields of science and engineering.