How to rearrange to solve for an exponential function

In summary, solving for a specific variable in an exponential function requires the use of logarithms. Exponential functions have the variable in the exponent, while logarithmic functions have the variable in the base. Solving for a variable in an exponential function always requires the use of logarithms, as they are the inverse of exponential functions. Natural logarithms should be used when the base of the exponential function is also e, while common logarithms should be used for all other cases. Calculators can be used to solve exponential functions, but make sure to use parentheses and check the mode setting.
ABR124
I am having difficulty trying to rearrange this equation to solve for one unknown variable.

i=(io)exp(z*α*F*∆V)/(R*T)

How would I rearrange this equation if i wanted to solve for io, also how would I rearrange this equation to solve for say α.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Solving for i0 is trivial, your equation is basically
i = i0 * something
so
i0 = i / something.

To solve for α is a bit trickier, you can first rewrite it to
(i / i0)*R*T=exp(z*α*F*∆V),
then take the natural logarithm to get
z*α*F*∆V = ...
and finally solve that for α.

1. How do I rearrange an exponential function to solve for a specific variable?

Solving for a specific variable in an exponential function requires the use of logarithms. To rearrange and solve for a variable, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will bring the variable down from the exponent and allow you to solve for it using algebraic methods.

2. What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic functions?

Exponential functions have the variable in the exponent, while logarithmic functions have the variable in the base. This means that exponential functions grow or decay at a constant rate, while logarithmic functions grow or decay at a decreasing rate.

3. Can I solve for a variable in an exponential function without using logarithms?

No, solving for a variable in an exponential function requires the use of logarithms. This is because the variable is in the exponent, and logarithms are the inverse of exponential functions.

4. How do I know when to use natural logarithms instead of common logarithms?

Natural logarithms (ln) use the base e, while common logarithms (log) use the base 10. Use natural logarithms when the base of the exponential function is also e, or when the problem involves continuous growth or decay. Use common logarithms for all other cases.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve exponential functions?

Yes, most scientific calculators have built-in functions for solving exponential equations. Make sure to use parentheses when entering the equation to avoid errors, and check the mode setting to make sure it is set to the appropriate mode (degrees or radians).