Musical Instruments and overtones

In summary, the reason why different instruments produce different relative amplitudes and number of overtones is due to the interference of harmonics and the way they interact to form a composite wave. The body of the instrument also plays a role in which harmonics are amplified. For strings and pipes, only certain frequencies will survive, while different harmonics do not arise depending on where the string is set vibrating.
BanjooftheSun

Homework Statement

Why do different instruments produce different relative amplitudes and number of overtones?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that formants affect the relative amplitude of some of the harmonics, but besides that, I do not know. Any guidance or suggested source would be appreciated.

I am having trouble understanding why the harmonic content of different instruments differs, which is why I asked this question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You must remember that for strings and pipes only certain frequencies will survive... Different relative amplitudes because of interference of the harmonics..

Ok, thank you.

I am only dealing with stringed instruments at the moment. I know that depending where the string is set vibrating different harmonics do not arise. Also, I think I understand that the harmonics interact to to form a composite wave based off of the harmonics that are present and how they interact.

What is giving me difficulty is how the body of the instrument, such as a guitar vs. a piano, affects which harmonics that are amplified.

Thanks very much

1. What are overtones in musical instruments?

Overtones are secondary vibrations produced in addition to the fundamental frequency of a musical instrument. They are multiples of the fundamental frequency and give each instrument its unique sound and tone.

2. How do overtones affect the sound of a musical instrument?

Overtones contribute to the richness and complexity of a musical instrument's sound. They give each note a distinct character and can create harmonies when multiple notes are played together.

3. Are overtones present in all musical instruments?

Yes, all musical instruments produce overtones to some degree. The type and amount of overtones produced depend on the material, shape, and construction of the instrument.

4. Can overtones be manipulated in musical instruments?

Yes, overtones can be manipulated by adjusting the shape and construction of the instrument, as well as through different playing techniques. Some instruments, such as the guitar, have specific techniques, such as bending strings, to produce specific overtones.

5. Do overtones have any practical applications in music?

Yes, overtones are essential in music production and sound engineering. They are used to create different sound effects and to enhance the overall sound quality of recordings. In some cultures, specific overtones are also used in traditional music and are considered to have spiritual or healing properties.