Bending radius - hollow cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about finding the bending radius for a given force and distance. The formula M/I = E/R is suggested to help with this calculation, with M representing the bending moment and I representing the area moment of inertia. The force and distance values are given and can be used to find the bending moment.
MidnightR
OK I have no idea how to work this out. I've googled bending radius but it doesn't really help a great deal.

It's the 2nd part of the last question:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4774/10579351.jpg

There's nothing in my notes about it, but I guess it has something to do with how long the force can be applied before fracture occurs. Not sure how that would give the bending radius mind you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This formula should help

M/I = σ/y = E/R

M = bending moment
I = area moment of inertia
σ = bending stress
y = distance from neutral axis
E = modulus of elasticity
R = radius of curvature.

I would suggest putting M/I = E/R since you know E, and can find M and I.

rock.freak667 said:
This formula should help

M/I = σ/y = E/R

M = bending moment
I = area moment of inertia
σ = bending stress
y = distance from neutral axis
E = modulus of elasticity
R = radius of curvature.

I would suggest putting M/I = E/R since you know E, and can find M and I.

I found I, but how do I find M?

MidnightR said:
I found I, but how do I find M?

M is the bending moment, which just the force* distance. Your F=70N force is acting at the distance of L=1m.

1. What is the bending radius of a hollow cylinder?

The bending radius of a hollow cylinder refers to the minimum radius at which the cylinder can be bent without causing damage or deformation to its structure.

2. How is the bending radius of a hollow cylinder calculated?

The bending radius of a hollow cylinder can be calculated using the formula: R = (E*t^2)/(4*σ), where R is the bending radius, E is the modulus of elasticity, t is the wall thickness, and σ is the stress limit of the material.

3. What factors affect the bending radius of a hollow cylinder?

The bending radius of a hollow cylinder is affected by several factors including the material properties, wall thickness, diameter, and the type of bending process being used.

4. What is the significance of the bending radius in the design of a hollow cylinder?

The bending radius plays a crucial role in the design of a hollow cylinder as it determines the structural integrity and strength of the cylinder. A smaller bending radius can result in a weaker and more prone to failure cylinder, while a larger bending radius can increase its strength and durability.

5. How can the bending radius of a hollow cylinder be optimized?

The bending radius of a hollow cylinder can be optimized by carefully selecting the material, wall thickness, and diameter of the cylinder. Additionally, using appropriate bending techniques and equipment can also help in achieving the desired bending radius without causing damage to the cylinder.