Poisson summation and Parsevals identity

In summary, Poisson summation is a mathematical tool used in Fourier analysis to relate the coefficients of a series to the function being analyzed. It is often used in conjunction with Parseval's identity, which states the relationship between the coefficients and the function in terms of integrals. Notes on Fourier analysis can be found on Tom Koerner's personal website, accessible through the Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics at the University of Cambridge.
broegger
I've heard something about Poisson summation in relation to Fourier analysis, but I can't seem to find any good info on the subject... Can anyone explain what "Poisson summation" is?

Furthermore, I would like to know exactly what "Parsevals identity" states and how it is applied.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
These kinds of indentities relate the coefficients of the series to the function, usually in terms of integrals.

I can't recall the exact wording of hte relevant theorems, but if you go to

www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk

go to people, find tom koerner's link and onhis personal web page shld be some very good notes on Fourier analysis

Poisson summation is a mathematical formula that relates the Fourier transform of a periodic function to the sum of the function's values at integer multiples of the period. In other words, it allows us to express a function in terms of its Fourier series, which is a sum of sines and cosines of different frequencies. This is useful in Fourier analysis because it allows us to simplify the calculation of Fourier transforms and understand the behavior of a function in the frequency domain.

Parseval's identity, on the other hand, is a theorem that states the total energy of a function in the time domain is equal to the total energy of its Fourier transform in the frequency domain. In other words, it relates the integral of a function squared to the integral of its Fourier transform squared. This is useful in many fields, including signal processing and physics, where it allows us to analyze the energy distribution of a signal or system.

Both Poisson summation and Parseval's identity are important tools in Fourier analysis and are used to simplify calculations and gain insight into the properties of functions and signals. I hope this helps clarify these concepts for you.

1. What is Poisson summation?

Poisson summation is a mathematical formula that allows for the transformation of a sum into an integral, or vice versa. It is named after French mathematician Siméon Denis Poisson.

2. What is Parseval's identity?

Parseval's identity is a theorem in mathematical analysis that relates the square of the magnitude of a function to the square of the magnitude of its Fourier transform. It is named after French mathematician Marc-Antoine Parseval.

3. How are Poisson summation and Parseval's identity related?

Poisson summation and Parseval's identity are closely related as they both involve the transformation of a sum into an integral. In fact, Parseval's identity can be derived from Poisson summation by setting the function to be a constant.

4. What are the applications of Poisson summation and Parseval's identity?

Poisson summation and Parseval's identity have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. They are also utilized in the study of Fourier series and Fourier transforms.

5. How can I use Poisson summation and Parseval's identity in my research?

If your research involves the analysis of signals or functions, Poisson summation and Parseval's identity can be valuable tools for simplifying complex equations and solving problems. It is important to understand the principles behind these concepts and how to apply them appropriately in your work.