Can materials with different surface properties move without external forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a short cylinder with one half hydrophilic and the other half hydrophobic. It is hypothesized that the object will naturally orient itself in a way that minimizes energy, similar to two magnets attracting each other. This scenario is seen as an easy experiment to set up, but the speaker does not currently have the time or resources to test it. The explanation for why the object won't continue to move is due to its reaching a state of minimized potential energy.
mcjosep
Ok, let's say you have a short cylinder (about a quarter inch tall and a three inch diameter) now take that cylinder and make one half of the circle hydrophilic and the other half hydrophobic (not the top one way and the bottom the other, I am talking about half the circle like how you would cut a pie), so one side attracts water while the other side repels it.

Shouldn't this cause the object to essentially surf the water without external force being applied? I know that there is an explanation as to why it won't move i just do not know what it is, and this scenario baffles me.

I'd imagine this would be an easy experiment to set up but I don't want to take the time right now to try and find an object that is hydrophilic and another that is hydrophobic in my kitchen cut them up and glue them together right now to test it.

thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The object is just going to orient itself into a state that minimizes energy.

Think of it like two magnets. If you put two magnets close to each other, they will begin to move towards each other without any external forces in such a way that the South on one is oriented towards the North on another (well, each magnet individually feels an external force but it's internal to the two magnet system) . Once they hit each other, they can't come any closer so the motion stops. This is the state at which their potential energy is minimized so that's the state towards which they will naturally go.

Same with the cylinder. If you put it in the water a certain way, I assume the cylinder will orient itself in such a way as to minimize the amount of water on the hydrophobic side and maximize the amount of water on the hydrophilic side (of course you have to consider friction, buoyancy, gravity, etc) . Once it's reached that orientation, there's no reason for it to move any more.

What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the process by which a liquid, such as water, moves through a small space or tube, against the force of gravity. This is due to the adhesive and cohesive properties of the liquid, which allow it to climb up surfaces and pull other objects along with it.

How does capillary action work?

Capillary action works through the combination of adhesive and cohesive forces. Adhesive forces are the attraction between molecules of different substances, while cohesive forces are the attraction between molecules of the same substance. In the case of capillary action, the adhesive forces between the liquid and the surface of the tube or object are stronger than the cohesive forces within the liquid itself, causing it to climb up the surface.

What objects can be moved by capillary action?

Any small, lightweight object that is in contact with a liquid and has a small enough space for the liquid to climb up can be moved by capillary action. This includes objects such as paper towels, plant roots, and even some insects.

What factors affect the strength of capillary action?

The strength of capillary action is affected by the surface tension of the liquid, the size and shape of the tube or object, and the properties of the liquid itself, such as its viscosity and density. Additionally, the presence of other substances, such as soap or oil, can disrupt capillary action.

How is capillary action useful in everyday life?

Capillary action has many practical applications in everyday life. It allows plants to absorb water and nutrients from the soil, enables paper towels to soak up spills, and helps water travel through the tiny blood vessels in our bodies. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as inkjet printing and chromatography.