Gravitation with Conservation of Energy and Momentum

In summary, the problem involves two spheres with masses M and 2M and radii R and 3R, respectively, being released from rest with a distance of 12R between their centers. We are asked to find the speeds with which they collide using either conservation of energy or conservation of momentum. Using conservation of energy, we can formulate an equation for the gravitational potential energy and set it equal to the kinetic energy at any time after release. This results in an equation with both v1 and v2, but we can solve for v1 in terms of v2. Using conservation of momentum, we can also solve for v1 in terms of v2 by setting the initial and final momenta equal to each other.
blackheart
1. Two spheres having masses M and 2M and radii R and 3R, respectively, are simultaneously released from rest when the distance between their centers is 12R. Assume the two spheres interact only with each other and we wish to find the speeds with which they collide. Write an equation from one of the models and solve it for v1, the velocity of the sphere of mass M at any time after release in terms of v2, the velocity of 2M.

2. Homework Equations :

Fg = Gm1m2/r^2

E = K + U

p=mv

3. Do I just use conservation of energy?

Ei = 0 + [G(M)(2M)]/(R^2)

Ef = 1/2Mv1^2 + 1/2(2M)v2^2 + 0

change in E = [1/2Mv1^2 + 1/2(2M)v2^2] - [G(M)(2M)]/(R^2)
This equals 0 since there are no nonconservation forces doing work.
change in E= Wnc = 0

My answer is sqrt(M/36R - 2v2^2) not correct

This is confusing me because it asks for v1 in terms of v2 and I have R in the answer. How do I solve it without R?

I also have to solve this using conservation of momentum.

Mv1i+2Mv2i = Mv1f + 2Mv2f

I don't get how to solve this for v1 in terms of v2 when I don't know initial or final velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
blackheart said:
Fg = Gm1m2/r^2

E = K + U

p=mv

3. Do I just use conservation of energy?

Ei = 0 + [G(M)(2M)]/(R^2)

Ef = 1/2Mv1^2 + 1/2(2M)v2^2 + 0

If you are using conservation of energy to solve this problem, the relevant equation for gravitational potential energy should be U=(G*M1*M2)/R

the R does not have a power 2.

use this to formulate an equation for the U(initial) and U(final).

blackheart said:
I also have to solve this using conservation of momentum.

Mv1i+2Mv2i = Mv1f + 2Mv2f

I don't get how to solve this for v1 in terms of v2 when I don't know initial or final velocities.

You do know the initial velocities:

'1. Two spheres having masses M and 2M and radii R and 3R, respectively, are simultaneously released from rest.'

ehild

1. How is gravitation related to conservation of energy and momentum?

Gravitation is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. This force is related to the conservation of energy and momentum because it follows the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. In other words, the total energy and momentum in a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is the role of conservation of energy and momentum in understanding gravitation?

The conservation of energy and momentum is essential in understanding gravitation because it helps us determine the motion and interactions of objects in a gravitational field. By applying these principles, we can predict the paths of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies, and understand the effects of gravity on their motion.

3. Can you explain how the law of conservation of energy applies to gravitational potential energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of gravitational potential energy, when an object is lifted to a certain height, it gains potential energy due to its position in a gravitational field. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the object falls, and the total energy in the system remains constant.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum affect objects in orbit?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum in a system remains constant, meaning that any change in an object's momentum must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in another object's momentum. In the case of objects in orbit, this means that the force of gravity between the objects is balanced by their momentum, keeping them in a stable orbit.

5. Can you give an example of how gravitational potential energy is converted into other forms of energy?

An example of this is when an object with potential energy, such as a satellite in orbit, enters the Earth's atmosphere. As it falls towards the ground, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing it to speed up. This increase in kinetic energy can generate heat and friction, ultimately converting the potential energy into thermal energy.