Single Var Calculus - Volumes of Revolution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid created by revolving a bound area around the y-axis. The curves y = 6 and y = x^2+2 are given and the expert explains the method used to find the volume, using the disk method. The expert also provides a correct calculation for the volume and explains how to choose the radius of the solid correctly. The conversation ends with the expert giving advice on how to gain confidence in tackling similar problems.
anonymity
Single Var Calculus -- Volumes of Revolution

consider the curves y = 6 x = 0 and y = x2+2

Revolve the bound area around the y-axis and find the volume of the product solid.

Here's what I did.

r = x = (y - 2)1/2

V = pi * INTEGRAL from y = 2 -> y = 6 of r2 dy = y - 2 dy = y2/2 - 2y from 6 - > 2 = 8pi

All of my calculations are correct, but I am not sure if i selected the radius of the solid correctly. This is why i chose to do this problem -- I need to get better at figuring out what the radius of the solid will be.

Did I choose it correctly? If not, what is correct, and is there any good way to check yourself to see if you did indeed chose your radius correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

anonymity said:
r = x = (y - 2)1/2

V = pi * INTEGRAL from y = 2 -> y = 6 of r2 dy = y - 2 dy = y2/2 - 2y from 6 - > 2 = 8pi

I think you're on the right track but I am confused by what you are doing here. The way you typed the equation is unclear.

anonymity said:
consider the curves y = 6 x = 0 and y = x2+2
Your lack of punctuation confused me for a moment! I was trying to figure out what "y= 6x= 0" could mean! Of course, you mean y= 6, x= 0, and [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex].

Revolve the bound area around the y-axis and find the volume of the product solid.

Here's what I did.

r = x = (y - 2)1/2
Okay, at each z, the x- coordinate on the boundary is [itex]x= (y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] and that is the radius of the disk that revolving around the y-axis produces. The area of such a disk is [itex]A= \pi r^2= \pi (y- 2)[/itex].

You need to learn to write mathematics more carefully- don't use "= " between things that are not equal: in particular, "[itex]\pi\int_2^6 y- 2 dy[/itex]" is NOT equal to "[itex] y- 2 dy[/itex]"!

What you mean is that the volume is given by
[tex]\pi \int_2^6 y- 2 dy= \pi(\frac{1}{2}y^2- 2y)right|_2^6= \pi\left[\left(\frac{1}{2}(36)- 2(6)\right)- \left(\frac{1}{2}(4)- 2(2)\right)\right]= 8\pi[/itex]
so, yes, your final answer is correct.

All of my calculations are correct, but I am not sure if i selected the radius of the solid correctly. This is why i chose to do this problem -- I need to get better at figuring out what the radius of the solid will be.
Since you are rotating around the y- axis, the radius (for the disk method) is perpendicular to the y-axis and so parallel to the x-axis. Since one end of a radius is at the y-axis, the other end is on the graph and the length of the radius is the x-value of that point: from [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex], [itex]y- 2= x^2[/itex] and [itex]x= \pm (y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex]. The graph of [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex] is symmetric around the y-axis so it does not matter whether you use [itex](y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] or [itex]-(y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] as r (and, specifically, you will be squaring r so it is really [itex]x^2= y- 2[/itex] you need.

Did I choose it correctly? If not, what is correct, and is there any good way to check yourself to see if you did indeed chose your radius correctly?
Yes, what you did was correct. As for "checking", just think logically and do a lot of these to gain confidence in yourself.

HallsofIvy said:
Your lack of punctuation confused me for a moment! I was trying to figure out what "y= 6x= 0" could mean! Of course, you mean y= 6, x= 0, and [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex].

Okay, at each z, the x- coordinate on the boundary is [itex]x= (y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] and that is the radius of the disk that revolving around the y-axis produces. The area of such a disk is [itex]A= \pi r^2= \pi (y- 2)[/itex].

You need to learn to write mathematics more carefully- don't use "= " between things that are not equal: in particular, "[itex]\pi\int_2^6 y- 2 dy[/itex]" is NOT equal to "[itex] y- 2 dy[/itex]"!

What you mean is that the volume is given by
[tex]\pi \int_2^6 y- 2 dy= \pi(\frac{1}{2}y^2- 2y)right|_2^6= \pi\left[\left(\frac{1}{2}(36)- 2(6)\right)- \left(\frac{1}{2}(4)- 2(2)\right)\right]= 8\pi[/itex]
so, yes, your final answer is correct.

Since you are rotating around the y- axis, the radius (for the disk method) is perpendicular to the y-axis and so parallel to the x-axis. Since one end of a radius is at the y-axis, the other end is on the graph and the length of the radius is the x-value of that point: from [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex], [itex]y- 2= x^2[/itex] and [itex]x= \pm (y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex]. The graph of [itex]y= x^2+ 2[/itex] is symmetric around the y-axis so it does not matter whether you use [itex](y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] or [itex]-(y- 2)^{1/2}[/itex] as r (and, specifically, you will be squaring r so it is really [itex]x^2= y- 2[/itex] you need.

Yes, what you did was correct. As for "checking", just think logically and do a lot of these to gain confidence in yourself.

Thanks for your answer; and sorry for my sporadic and informal approach. I tried to do it correctly with latex but I just couldn't get it to work right.

1. What is Single Variable Calculus?

Single Variable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of one variable. It involves the concepts of limits, differentiation, and integration to analyze and solve problems related to continuous changes in a single variable.

2. What is the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution is the total amount of space occupied by a 3D object formed by rotating a 2D shape around an axis. In single variable calculus, the volume of revolution is calculated by using integration to find the area under a curve and revolving it around an axis.

3. How is the volume of revolution calculated?

The volume of revolution is calculated by using the formula V = π∫ab [f(x)]2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration, and f(x) is the function that represents the 2D shape being rotated around the axis. This formula is derived from the disk method in integration.

4. What are the different methods for finding volumes of revolution?

There are three main methods for finding volumes of revolution in single variable calculus: the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method. The disk method involves calculating the volume of thin circular disks stacked together, the shell method involves calculating the volume of thin cylindrical shells, and the washer method involves calculating the volume of thin annular rings.

5. What are some real-life applications of volumes of revolution?

Volumes of revolution have many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a soda can, a water bottle, or a traffic cone. They are also used in engineering and physics to calculate the volume of objects with rotational symmetry, such as propellers, turbines, and cylinders. In economics, the concept of volume of revolution is used to analyze changes in supply and demand curves.