Flux through a cube with non uniform electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the electric flux through the faces of a cube given the electric field of -5x + 3z. The conversation includes a brief explanation of how to integrate the flux through each face and suggests summing up the flux on all 6 faces, excluding the faces facing the positive and negative y directions.
purplex76
This is really frusterating me, my book provides horrible examples and i have no idea how to go about this problem.
There is a cube with sides L= .3m and an electric field = (-5 N/C X m) x i +(3 N/C x m) z k i= i hat k= k hat
I know that the flux = the integral of the E . dA (dot product), but the form that i have for the electric field is not making sense to me.
How can i find the electric flux through the faces of a cube when i am given the electric field mentioned above?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds like the electric field at a point (x,y,z) is

-5 x Newtons/columb-meter in the [tex]\hat i[/tex] direction, and
3 z Newtons/columb-meter in the [tex] \hat k[/tex] direction.

Usually [tex] \hat i[/tex] points in the x direction, [tex]\hat j[/tex] points in the y direction, and [tex]\hat k[/tex] points in the z direction. Does this sound right?

If so, it shouldn't be too hard to integrate the flux through a cube face...

i'm still lost

What pervect is trying to say in fewer words than I'm about to say is you have the field given by -5x + 3z. The flux is the integral of E dot dA right? However, since dA does not change on each face throughout the face E dot dA becomes E*A for each face. Sum the flux on each face up. I'll help you out with a little of the math:

The cube has one face facing the positive and negative directions for x, y and z. For example, the flux on the face pointing in the positive/negative x direction is <-5x, 0, 3z> * (0.3^2). The only difference is the value of x for each face, where <i, j, k> is a vector. Now sum up all 6 faces (you can ignore the ones facing the +y and -y directions)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is meant by "flux through a cube with non uniform electric field"?

The flux through a cube with non uniform electric field refers to the amount of electric field passing through a three-dimensional cube that has varying electric field strength at different points.

2. How is the flux through a cube with non uniform electric field calculated?

The flux through a cube with non uniform electric field is calculated by taking the surface integral of the electric field over the surface of the cube. This involves calculating the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface normal vector at each point on the surface and summing them up.

3. What factors affect the flux through a cube with non uniform electric field?

The flux through a cube with non uniform electric field is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field at different points on the surface, as well as the size and shape of the cube.

4. How does the flux through a cube with non uniform electric field differ from a cube with uniform electric field?

In a cube with uniform electric field, the electric field strength remains constant at all points on the surface. This means that the flux through the cube will also be constant. However, in a cube with non uniform electric field, the electric field strength varies at different points on the surface, resulting in a varying flux.

5. What is the practical application of understanding flux through a cube with non uniform electric field?

Understanding the flux through a cube with non uniform electric field is important in various engineering and scientific fields, such as electrostatics, electrical engineering, and physics. It can help in designing and analyzing electric circuits, as well as in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.