Problem involving set and relations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving relations on a set A and the proof that if one relation is a subset of another, then the nth power of the first relation is also a subset of the nth power of the second relation. The conversation also includes an attempt at a solution using proof by induction, with a base case and an inductive step. The conversation concludes with a request for help and hints on completing the proof.
nistaria
First this is my first attempt at using latex to ask a question, so my appologies if the statements come out strange. I'll edit as needed.

Homework Statement

Let R and S be relations on a set A. Prove that if [tex]R \subseteq S, then R^{n} \subseteq S^{n} for all n \geq 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I used proof by induction.

Base case:
Let [tex] n=1 [/tex] then[tex] R \subseteq S[/tex], then[tex] R^{n} \subseteq S^{n} =R^{1} \subseteq S^{1}[/tex] which is equal to [tex]R \subseteq S [/tex]which is true.

Inductive step:
Suppose that [tex]R^{k} \subseteq S^{k} [/tex]for[tex] n=k [/tex]and [/tex]k \geq 1[\tex]
We need to show that [tex]R^{k+1} \subseteq S^{k+1} [/tex]is true as well.
[tex] R^{k+1} \subseteq S^{k+1} = R \circ R^{k} \subseteq S \circ S^{k}[/tex]

ok, so here goes. I'm lost at this point. I know that for instance, if (a,b) are elements of Rn then it must be the case that (a,b) are elements of Sn

Any help, prefferably hints as I'd rather learn then get complete solutions handed to me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nistaria! :smile:

your induction proof needs to begin "if (a,b) ε Rn+1, then there is a c such that …" :wink:

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements. It can be represented by listing its elements inside curly braces, such as {1, 2, 3}. Sets are often used in mathematics to represent and analyze relationships between different objects.

2. What is a relation?

A relation is a connection or association between two or more sets. It can be represented by ordered pairs, such as (1, 2) or (a, b), where the first element is related to the second element in some way. Relations can be used to show patterns or dependencies between different sets.

3. How do you define a problem involving sets and relations?

A problem involving sets and relations is a mathematical or logical problem that requires the use of sets and relations to solve it. This can involve identifying sets, defining relations between them, or using existing relations to find a solution. These types of problems often involve analyzing patterns and relationships between different elements.

4. What are some real-life applications of problems involving sets and relations?

Problems involving sets and relations have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and social sciences. For example, set theory and relational databases are used in computer science to organize and retrieve data efficiently. In economics, set and relation analysis can be used to model market trends and consumer behavior. In social sciences, these concepts can be used to study and understand social networks and interactions.

5. What are some common strategies for solving problems involving sets and relations?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve problems involving sets and relations. These include identifying and defining relevant sets, using Venn diagrams or other visual aids to analyze relationships, and applying logical reasoning to determine the solution. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to use previous knowledge and experience with similar problems.