Who's Tuning in for the Ball Drop Tonight?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Drop
In summary, the conversation is about watching the ball drop on television on New Year's Eve. Some people will be watching it while others will be playing a video game called Dance Central. Some are not interested in watching it and will just have the windows open to hear it. The conversation ends with someone deciding to watch it live in their own time zone and then go to bed.
Dremmer
Anyone here in the states going to be watching the ball drop on television tonight? I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.

Probably not. If anything I'll be playing Dance Central.

Probably, but I have no idea why :confused:

It won't break my heart if I miss it!

it's only a re-run in my time zone.

I want to be playing Dance Central with Topher... whatever that is (game) I know what Topher is... uhh... yeah.

We will hear it if we keep the windows open. (Or not) Every year. Happy New Years From NYC.

Proton Soup said:
it's only a re-run in my time zone.

Oh I'll watch it live in my time zone, call it good enough, and go to bed.

lisab said:
Oh I'll watch it live in my time zone, call it good enough, and go to bed.

Now that's a smart lady!

1. What is the significance of the ball drop on New Year's Eve?

The ball drop on New Year's Eve is a tradition that started in 1907 in New York City's Times Square. It marks the end of the current year and the beginning of the new year, and is celebrated with a large gathering of people, live performances, and fireworks.

2. How many people typically tune in for the ball drop on TV?

On average, about 20 million people in the United States tune in to watch the ball drop on TV. This number has been increasing in recent years due to the widespread use of social media and live streaming.

3. How long does the ball drop ceremony last?

The ball drop ceremony typically lasts about 1-2 minutes. However, the entire New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square can last up to 6 hours with live performances and other activities.

4. How is the ball drop event organized and managed?

The ball drop event is organized and managed by the Times Square Alliance, a non-profit organization. They work closely with the New York City Police Department and other city agencies to ensure safety and smooth execution of the event.

5. Can people attend the ball drop ceremony in person?

Yes, people can attend the ball drop ceremony in person. However, due to the large crowds and security measures, it is recommended to arrive early and be prepared for long wait times. Additionally, access to the viewing area is limited and requires a free ticket, which can be obtained through a lottery system.