Medical Physics (Imaging) Salaries

In summary, the individual is seeking information on the starting salary for a medical physicist specializing in imaging and the current job market. They have a B.S. and have been working in 3D graphics for the past 15 years, but are considering going back to school for a better paying job. The salary for imaging positions can vary and the individual is planning on signing up for a student membership with the AAPM to access their salary survey. They are hoping that the salary for imaging is close to the average for medical physics, which is around the mid 90's to start with an MS from an accredited program.
Mike Pauza
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the approximate starting salary of a medical physicist specializing in imaging? Also, how's the job market?

Got my B.S. 15 yrs ago, but have actually been working in 3D graphics since then. I love graphics, so imaging seems interesting. I'm currently only making 50K, and thinking about going back to school to earn a better living.

Any help is much appreciated. -Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to say with imaging positions as the salary range can vary. I'd recommend getting a student membership to the AAPM so you have access to their salary survey for some hard data.

I can sign up for AAPM I guess.

I guess I'm hoping that "imaging" is close to the average for medical physics, which I hear is somewhere around the mid 90's to start (with an MS from an accredited program)?

-Mike

1. What is the average salary for a medical physicist specializing in imaging?

The average salary for a medical physicist specializing in imaging is around $130,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and the specific field within medical physics.

2. How does the salary for a medical physicist in imaging compare to other types of medical physicists?

In general, medical physicists specializing in imaging tend to have higher salaries compared to those in other fields. This is due to the high demand for imaging technology in the medical field and the specialized training required for this role.

3. Are there any factors that can affect a medical physicist's salary in imaging?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence a medical physicist's salary in imaging. These include years of experience, level of education, geographic location, and type of employer (e.g. hospital, research institution, private practice).

4. What is the job outlook for medical physicists in imaging?

The job outlook for medical physicists in imaging is very positive. With advancements in medical technology and an aging population, there is a growing demand for imaging services in healthcare. This is expected to lead to a steady increase in job opportunities and salaries for medical physicists in this field.

5. What can I do to increase my salary as a medical physicist in imaging?

One way to increase your salary as a medical physicist in imaging is to gain experience and expertise in a specific area of imaging technology. This can make you more valuable to employers and can lead to higher-paying job opportunities. Additionally, obtaining advanced certifications and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the field can also help increase your salary.