Solve the Flywheel-IVT Problem with This Simple Solution in 15 Seconds

• Thread starter jimgram
  • Start date
In summary, this problem seems to be centered around understanding momentum and energy conservation. It seems as though there might be a problem with the calculation of torque, based on the incorrect assumption that momentum is conserved.
jimgram said:
RonL: You just described our second generation 2-flywheel system. Exactly on target. If you search some of my previous posts you'll see how long I have been attempting to nail the mathematical analysis.

Kinetic power LLC has developed such a system (built and working) utilizing 2 variable-inertia flywheels, each coupled to a motor-generator as well as the epicyclic differential. My goal has been the performance modeling. My background is electronic engineering and obviuosly have been struggling with the math concepts, however with the recent inputs from this forum I believe I'm much closer to an understanding of what is happening. Thanks to all!

Thanks jimgram, that positive comment came at a really good time. :)

I will look at your post and for the company website.

Ron

Physics news on Phys.org
jimgram said:
RonL: You just described our second generation 2-flywheel system. Exactly on target. If you search some of my previous posts you'll see how long I have been attempting to nail the mathematical analysis.

Kinetic power LLC has developed such a system (built and working) utilizing 2 variable-inertia flywheels, each coupled to a motor-generator as well as the epicyclic differential. My goal has been the performance modeling. My background is electronic engineering and obviuosly have been struggling with the math concepts, however with the recent inputs from this forum I believe I'm much closer to an understanding of what is happening. Thanks to all!

I have looked at all your threads and post's in them, it seemed that in post #10 of "conservation of angular momentum" the full impact of just how much energy is in store became clear in your mind.
The name Kinetic Power, LLC. did not turn up anything that seemed to go along with this topic, do you have anything more, or did I get too close to the patent in process that is being worked on ?

Ron

RonL:
Actually, our patent application was recently published so we will be bringing our website up soon - as of now you are correct - there is no public info available. You are also correct about the understanding of angular momentum - I needed to visualize the whole system in the absence of earth-based physics (I.E. in space). It's still a problem however: I see that torque is applied to the gear housing and that dL/t = torque. L is I*[tex]\omega[/tex], so, it doen't matter how you assume I or [tex]\omega[/tex] for the conservation of momentum, but matters significantly with regard to the conservation of energy.

jimgram said:
RonL:
Actually, our patent application was recently published so we will be bringing our website up soon - as of now you are correct - there is no public info available. You are also correct about the understanding of angular momentum - I needed to visualize the whole system in the absence of earth-based physics (I.E. in space). It's still a problem however: I see that torque is applied to the gear housing and that dL/t = torque. L is I*[tex]\omega[/tex], so, it doen't matter how you assume I or [tex]\omega[/tex] for the conservation of momentum, but matters significantly with regard to the conservation of energy.

Thanks, I will be looking forward to a web site.

I have gone through the thread again, I'm a little embarrased that my post seems to parrot your post #30. I don't understand the math of the pdf in post#13, but I think I understand the problem.
I would like to throw out one of my observations from years of thought processing (and some actual bench testing) based on counter rotating flywheels, when the physical mechanical contact for energy exchange is removed you will find the efficiency to improve by a great amount.

A question about what I think is going on, and what I think most people fail to consider, or just overlook, would be...If power is added for an amount of time that brings a flywheel to it's maximum rpm, the kinetic energy has grown far in excess of the power used to bring it to that point, is this correct ?

It seems that most rebuttals to flywheel energy storage is, a cycle expressed as zero to max, and then max to zero, which will of course leave an overall loss every time. Cycle time at peak rpm is the most important thing.

So to me the total energy exchange between two interacting flywheels, if using only gas pressure and electromagnetic transfer, will result in the most efficiency possible.

The perfect system, as I have in mind, can come with a NDA and the price might be far cheaper than you would expect.

Jim, thanks for your threads.

Ron

<h2>1. What is the Flywheel-IVT problem?</h2><p>The Flywheel-IVT problem refers to the challenge of maintaining a constant rotational speed of a flywheel while also being able to vary the output torque. This is a common issue in many mechanical systems and can greatly affect their efficiency and performance.</p><h2>2. Why is the Flywheel-IVT problem important?</h2><p>The Flywheel-IVT problem is important because it impacts the efficiency and performance of many mechanical systems. Being able to solve this problem can lead to more efficient and reliable machines, which can have a significant impact on various industries.</p><h2>3. What is the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem?</h2><p>The simple solution to the Flywheel-IVT problem involves using a continuously variable transmission (CVT) system. This system uses a belt or chain to connect two variable-sized pulleys, allowing for a wide range of output speeds with a constant input speed.</p><h2>4. How does the "simple solution" solve the Flywheel-IVT problem in 15 seconds?</h2><p>The "simple solution" can solve the Flywheel-IVT problem in 15 seconds by quickly adjusting the pulley sizes to match the desired output torque. This eliminates the need for complex gear systems or manual adjustments, making the process much faster and more efficient.</p><h2>5. What are the benefits of using the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem?</h2><p>There are several benefits to using the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem. These include improved efficiency, reduced wear and tear on the flywheel and other components, and the ability to easily adjust output torque for different applications. Additionally, the CVT system is relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other solutions.</p>

1. What is the Flywheel-IVT problem?

The Flywheel-IVT problem refers to the challenge of maintaining a constant rotational speed of a flywheel while also being able to vary the output torque. This is a common issue in many mechanical systems and can greatly affect their efficiency and performance.

2. Why is the Flywheel-IVT problem important?

The Flywheel-IVT problem is important because it impacts the efficiency and performance of many mechanical systems. Being able to solve this problem can lead to more efficient and reliable machines, which can have a significant impact on various industries.

3. What is the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem?

The simple solution to the Flywheel-IVT problem involves using a continuously variable transmission (CVT) system. This system uses a belt or chain to connect two variable-sized pulleys, allowing for a wide range of output speeds with a constant input speed.

4. How does the "simple solution" solve the Flywheel-IVT problem in 15 seconds?

The "simple solution" can solve the Flywheel-IVT problem in 15 seconds by quickly adjusting the pulley sizes to match the desired output torque. This eliminates the need for complex gear systems or manual adjustments, making the process much faster and more efficient.

5. What are the benefits of using the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem?

There are several benefits to using the "simple solution" to the Flywheel-IVT problem. These include improved efficiency, reduced wear and tear on the flywheel and other components, and the ability to easily adjust output torque for different applications. Additionally, the CVT system is relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other solutions.