Ship wing. Do they have to be Delta?

• Thread starter Lazernugget
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta Ship
In summary, the conversation discusses designing a new spacecraft model with efficient wings, and the amount of fuel needed for it to go into space. The design of the wings is important for aerodynamics and preventing the ship from slowing down or falling apart. The Space Shuttle serves as an example of using wings for gliding and landing, while most satellites have a more compact design. The Ideal Rocket Equation is used to calculate the necessary fuel for launching into orbit, and a general estimate is 9 pounds of fuel for every pound of the spacecraft, depending on the use of boosters.
Lazernugget
I'm designing a new spacecraft model, but it does not use Delta wings, like most ships do. I need them to be efficient, because my ship is kinda large. (It's like a hybrid of a rocket, and the Space Shuttle), and so I have two questions:

1) My craft's wings look like really tall right triangles, that stretch from the entire middle section of the ship, but would they be efficient and work aerodynamically?

2)How much fuel does a craft need to go into space per pound? Like if it weighed like...I don't know, 12,000 pounds, how much acceleration/force/fuel would it need to go to space?

Thanks,

-Lazernugget

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seriously, can someone answer? :D That would be helpful.

Lazernugget said:
Seriously, can someone answer? :D That would be helpful.

You need to be patient. You waited 90 minutes for a response before this second post...

Wings are more efficient the higher the aspect ratio (ratio of span to chord). The Space Shuttle has very swept delta wings in order to not get torn apart upon re-entry.

Why does it matter if the wings are efficient? Its a spaceship!

Well, it needs to go fast, (not slow it down) and it can't just tear apart...so any type of wing wouldn't fall apart or slow down? That doesn't seem realistic...

Wings don't make a spacecraft go fast. In fact, they don't do anything at all if it's in space. In real life, most satellites look sort of like refrigerators.

The space shuttle has wings so it can glide and be piloted to land on a runway.

The way to calculate fuel needed is with the Ideal Rocket Equation. To hit orbit launching from the equator, you'll probably need around 9000 m/s for the delta u. You'd probably be safe assuming 300-350 for Isp.

If all that seems too confusing, you'd probably be safe assuming 9 pounds of fuel for every pound of spacecraft if you use drop off boosters and maybe 15 to 20 if you aren't.

1. What is a ship wing?

A ship wing is a hydrodynamic surface that is attached to the hull of a ship to enhance its performance by creating lift and reducing drag.

2. What is a Delta wing?

A Delta wing is a triangular-shaped wing that is commonly used in aircraft and spacecraft design. It is named after the Greek letter delta, which resembles its shape.

3. Why are Delta wings commonly used in ships?

Delta wings are commonly used in ships because they have a high aspect ratio, which means they have a large surface area in relation to their span. This allows for more lift and less drag, resulting in improved performance and fuel efficiency.

4. Are Delta wings necessary for ships?

No, Delta wings are not necessary for ships. Other wing shapes, such as rectangular or swept wings, can also be used in ship design. The choice of wing shape depends on the specific requirements and design goals of the ship.

5. How do Delta wings affect the stability of a ship?

Delta wings can affect the stability of a ship by altering its center of gravity and buoyancy. However, this can be compensated for through proper design and placement of the wings. Additionally, advanced control systems can be used to maintain stability in ships with Delta wings.