Mobile Users: Mobile Skin Poll

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: or at least the string it is using?I added the ipad to an exception list. Does it work?Yes, it does.

Mobile Skin

• Keep It

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Drop It

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
I've had some requests to drop it and now some to keep it. Be heard now! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep it, most phone browsers, i.e, Dolphin, Skyfire, Opera, have the option to identify as a regular desktop and will not display the mobile version if that's what the user desires.

Keep it. I know I've complained about it lacking features before, but trying to view the forums on my iPod with the regular skin would be tough. I would have to zoom into be able to read the text, and then constantly scroll left and right to see who is posting what.

I'd like to see it changed rather than dropping it. I kinda agree with NeoDevin in that I wish it has a lot more sophistication to it. As it is now, I tend to do a lot of scrolling to get to everything.

Zz.

I've just voted drop it, but since realized that my phone circumvents the mobile skin anyway!

Aside from it could do with additional features, I say keep it.

If it came to using the regular skin I wouldn't bother on my phone.

What happened? The poll is clearly "keep it" and yet it's gone off my phone.

jarednjames said:
What happened? The poll is clearly "keep it" and yet it's gone off my phone.

I actually lost it before this poll was open. Sometime on Wednesday, I believe.

I voted to keep it.

I have to zoom in and out quite often when using the default layout. I believe the default layout also takes longer to load.

Dembadon said:
I voted to keep it.

I have to zoom in and out quite often when using the default layout. I believe the default layout also takes longer to load.

Exactly what I encounter. An absolute nightmare.

The poll still says to keep it and yet it's still gone.

Dembadon said:
I have to zoom in and out quite often when using the default layout.

But it's much easier to do a bit of zooming than to have few functional features.

I believe the default layout also takes longer to load.

Not for me: my phone loads the the default page in a fraction of a second.

cristo said:
But it's much easier to do a bit of zooming than to have few functional features.

Not for me: my phone loads the the default page in a fraction of a second.

If Wi-Fi is available, I agree, it's pretty quick, and the difference is negligible. However, without Wi-Fi, it's much slower -- AT&T doesn't have a very good data speeds in the mountains. :frown:

I voted for keeping it.

For the people who want to seen it gone, they can turn off the mobile browser function in their phone or device. On the other hand, if it is gone, the people who want it, can't just turn it back on at their own will.

In my experience the default site also loads much slower than the mobile version, and that is with Wi-Fi, the phone I'm on is a Blackberry Curve.

I'm checking now on my phone, and the mobile version is back up, Whew!

KrisOhn said:
In my experience the default site also loads much slower than the mobile version, and that is with Wi-Fi, the phone I'm on is a Blackberry Curve.

The normal site loads without delay for me, both on wifi and over the mobile network. Still, I've figured out how to disable the mobile mode now, so it makes no difference to me.

cristo said:
The normal site loads without delay for me, both on wifi and over the mobile network. Still, I've figured out how to disable the mobile mode now, so it makes no difference to me.

Would you be able to explain how that is done? Thanks.

fuzzyfelt said:
Would you be able to explain how that is done? Thanks.

The mobile skin is activated when it recognizes a "mobile user agent string". change the string and the mobile device won't be detected.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The mobile skin is activated when it recognizes a "mobile user agent string". change the string and the mobile device won't be detected.

Thanks very much, Greg!

Could anyone explain to me how to disable the mobile website on an iPad?

Gallin said:
Could anyone explain to me how to disable the mobile website on an iPad?

I added the ipad to an exception list. Does it work?

Wow that confused me for a bit there. Ya it works. And now I can even see the poll. Thanks.

Why is my desktop Opera11 (stock agent string under Linux) being recognized as a mobile device? I have to mask as Firefox to use the site...

Thanks for any help.

Sankaku said:
Why is my desktop Opera11 (stock agent string under Linux) being recognized as a mobile device? I have to mask as Firefox to use the site...

Thanks for any help.

can you post your exact agent string?

Greg Bernhardt said:
can you post your exact agent string?

You bet:

Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.7.62 Version/11.01

Thanks for looking into it. I notice that desktop Opera does get interpreted as a mobile device on a few other sites.

If I change to "Identify as Firefox" it becomes this, which usually works fine:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6 Opera 11.01

Sankaku said:

Thanks for any help.

I can confirm that, thank god I can mask as Firefox...

So I had the non modile version up yesterday and now it's back... Did you decide that the modile version is what it's going to be?

The mobile skin appears in my opera browser on my computer, does anyone know how to disable it? For chrome it's regular though, I don't know what's wrong.

Jarle said:
The mobile skin appears in my opera browser on my computer, does anyone know how to disable it?
Because Opera makes a mobile browser that is used in a lot of mobile devices, many sites (wrongly) think that you want a mobile layout.

You can tell Opera to pretend to be Firefox on any site that does this. This fools the site into giving you the right page layout for a desktop browser. I sometimes also do this on sites that complain that I am not using an "up to date browser" and then direct me to go download Netscape (which hasn't existed for years)!

Right-click on the page and click "Edit Site Preferences." Go to the "Network" tab at the far right and the bottom entry is "Browser Identification." See what works best for you.

Once set, Opera will remember to "mask" itself every time you come back to that site.

Sankaku said:
Right-click on the page and click "Edit Site Preferences." Go to the "Network" tab at the far right and the bottom entry is "Browser Identification." See what works best for you.

Thanks, that worked!

Now if I set to "Identify as Firefox" I get a 502 Bad Gateway page and physicsforums is essentially broken. Yikes.

I have to completely "Mask as Firefox" to get the site usable. Personally, I think feeding different pages to different browsers is the wrong approach. But maybe I am just a luddite.

Greg Bernhardt said:
the opera problem has been fixed

Much appreciated. I can confirm it is working normally for me again...

1. What is a mobile skin poll?

A mobile skin poll is a survey or questionnaire that is specifically designed to gather feedback and opinions from mobile device users. This can include questions about the user's preferences, habits, and experiences with using their mobile device.

2. Why is it important to conduct a mobile skin poll?

Conducting a mobile skin poll can provide valuable insights into the behavior and needs of mobile device users. This information can be used to improve the design and functionality of mobile devices and apps, leading to a better user experience.

3. How is a mobile skin poll conducted?

A mobile skin poll can be conducted through various methods, such as online surveys, in-person interviews, or through mobile apps. The chosen method will depend on the target audience and the goals of the poll.

4. What are some common questions asked in a mobile skin poll?

Some common questions asked in a mobile skin poll may include the type of mobile device the user owns, how often they use their device, their preferred features and functions, and any issues they have encountered while using their device.

5. How can the results of a mobile skin poll be used?

The results of a mobile skin poll can be used to inform decisions related to mobile device design, marketing strategies, and app development. They can also help identify areas for improvement and guide future research and development efforts.