Why Mechanical Engineering? Benefits & Expectations in India

• Thread starter theitcrowd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of learning filing, hacksawing, cutting, and carpentry work in mechanical engineering, particularly in the context of the speaker's education in India. It is mentioned that understanding these manufacturing methods is crucial for designing cost-effective and operable parts. The speaker also asks for advice on what to expect in their future education.
theitcrowd
Hi Everyone,

I am a mechanical engineering student, But I just don't understand why do we need to know filing, Hacksawing, cutting etc. and carpentry work ? I am in my first year and I just finished a semester, but I don't really know why we needed to do all that last semester , I mean I don't get the point. I was really looking forward to Mechanical Engineering being fun , but it doesn't turn out that way. Is it like that in your country? I am doing my Mech. Engg in India btw.

Also what else do I expect in the future? I want to just go a bit ahead of what we are doing now so just wondering .

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's always better to understand what you will be asking others to try and do. Understanding the manufacturing methods will let you understand why certain parts might be more cost effective/feasible.

Another reason can be that if you are designing something that someone has to use (especially if it's not very often) it helps to understand that it needs to be operable. In the chemical industry I have seen many times where something that somebody thought was practical was completely useless (ie a bypass for a control valve that is completely inaccessible, or supports that prevent removal of equipment).

I have no idea what you can expect of your future education in India.

Mechanical Engineering is fun...just make sure u do not miss the KEYWORDS ur Prof use :)

1. What are the benefits of pursuing mechanical engineering in India?

There are several benefits to pursuing mechanical engineering in India. Firstly, India has a strong industrial sector, providing ample job opportunities for mechanical engineers. Additionally, mechanical engineers in India are well-respected and have the potential for high salaries. The cost of education is also relatively affordable compared to other countries, making it a popular choice for students.

2. What are the career expectations for mechanical engineers in India?

Mechanical engineering is a diverse field with a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths for mechanical engineers in India include working in the automotive, manufacturing, and energy industries. With the growth of technology, there is also a demand for mechanical engineers in the fields of robotics and advanced materials. Overall, mechanical engineers in India can expect a challenging and rewarding career with opportunities for growth and development.

3. What skills are required to be successful in mechanical engineering in India?

To excel in mechanical engineering in India, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. Good analytical and problem-solving skills are also essential. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are necessary for working in the industry. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software is also beneficial.

4. What are the current trends in mechanical engineering in India?

Some of the current trends in mechanical engineering in India include the use of advanced materials, automation and robotics, and sustainable design. With the rise of automation and Industry 4.0, there is also a growing demand for skills in data analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. The development of electric and hybrid vehicles is also a significant trend in the automotive industry.

5. Is a degree in mechanical engineering from India recognized globally?

Yes, a degree in mechanical engineering from India is recognized globally. Indian universities and institutes of technology are highly regarded and have produced some of the top engineers in the world. Many Indian mechanical engineers have also pursued successful careers abroad. However, it is essential to ensure that the program is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for global recognition.