Relationship between diameter and strength of hollow tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between diameter size and the strength to flex a hollow tube, and whether this relationship is linear or non-linear. The speaker is measuring the flexural load of different hollow tubes with varying diameters and is looking for a way to normalize the data. They mention that their aim is to find the force needed to flex the material in the tubes. It is mentioned that physics is not the most relevant discipline for this topic, and experimentation or analysis software may be helpful in determining the relationship between diameter size and flexural load.
ashleytan
Hi,

I was wondering what is the relationship between 'diameter size' and the strength to flex a hollow tube... is it linear or non-linear?

I'm measuring the flexural load of different hollow tubes (with different diameter size) and looking for a way to normalize the the flexural load data based on their diameters. Is that possible?

I should mention that my aim is to find out the force needed to flex the material in the tubes and my tubes come in different diameters.

Physics is not my forte and any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ashleytan:
It's not physics which will guide you in setting up your experiment and analyzing the data obtained. Strength of Materials or solid mechanics are more pertinent disciplines.

I'm not sure and I don't feel like checking, but I believe it depends on diameter^3 or even diameter^4. So no, it's FAR from being linear.

Exactly, it cannot be linear. Even Hooke's law is valid only for very small deformations. Experimentation is the best way to check or any analysis software

1. How does the diameter of a hollow tube affect its strength?

The diameter of a hollow tube has a direct impact on its strength. Generally, the larger the diameter, the stronger the tube will be. This is because a larger diameter means there is more material and cross-sectional area to distribute the load, making it more resistant to bending and deformation.

2. Is there a specific ratio between diameter and strength for hollow tubes?

There is no specific ratio between diameter and strength for hollow tubes. The relationship between the two is not linear and can vary depending on factors such as the material of the tube, its wall thickness, and the type of loading it experiences.

3. How does the thickness of the tube's walls affect its strength?

The thickness of a hollow tube's walls also plays a significant role in its strength. Thicker walls provide more material to resist bending and deformation, thus increasing the overall strength of the tube. However, there is a point of diminishing returns where increasing the wall thickness will not significantly improve the strength of the tube.

4. Can a thinner tube with a larger diameter be stronger than a thicker tube with a smaller diameter?

Yes, it is possible for a thinner tube with a larger diameter to be stronger than a thicker tube with a smaller diameter. This is because the larger diameter provides more material to distribute the load, while the thinner walls reduce the weight of the tube, making it more efficient in carrying the load.

5. How does the type of loading affect the relationship between diameter and strength of hollow tubes?

The type of loading, whether it is tensile, compressive, or bending, can significantly affect the relationship between diameter and strength of hollow tubes. For example, a tube with a larger diameter may be stronger in bending, but a tube with a smaller diameter may be stronger in compression. It is essential to consider the type of loading when determining the optimal diameter for a hollow tube.