Stability of truck mounted lifting systems calculation

In summary, the conversation focused on a discussion about an Australian standard for calculating the stability of a truck mounted crane. The standard, found in the Australian Code of Practice for Crane Installation on Trucks, was deemed simple and practical, but the individual was having trouble understanding certain aspects of it. The first issue discussed was the crane's center of gravity (C.O.G.) and its location in relation to the stabilizer line and the boom's position. The second issue brought up was the use of the F parameter in the equations provided in the standard, and its relation to the tipping moment and load. The individual also provided a new link to the standard for others to reference.
guideonl
Hi everyone,
I was looking for a std to calculate stability of truck mounted crane. Recently I found an australian std "australian code of practice for crane installation on truck" (I think it is a part of 1418 au std), and I found it simple and practical. But, when I tried to solve the example given at the std I realized that I missunderstand several things, I hope you can help me..
First, in appendix 5 (page 13):
-from the figure, the crane C.O.G coincides with the stabilizer line. Is it a particular case, or a design requirement when the boom is perpendicular to the tipping line?
-if not, how can I find the C.O.G of the crane when the boom is in it's max outreach? (I only found the C.O.G of crane - Fassi- in a stowed possition).
-why the crane rotation axis is a little bit shifted from the truck longitudinal axis (it is not on the truck axis).
Second, the equations under the figure (page 13), contain the F parameter (=3.45 m) to determine the tipping moment and the tipping load, but there is no F designated at the figure. I guess that this should be the distance between the tipping line and the S.W.L , but I am not sure, it could be also a virtual dimention..

Thanks, Guideon

www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle.../pdf/vsb_06_q.pdf[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry for the inopperative link. I hope the new one attached will work..
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/vsb_06_q.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of calculating the stability of truck mounted lifting systems?

The purpose of calculating the stability of truck mounted lifting systems is to ensure the safety of the system and its operators. By determining the stability, engineers can identify potential hazards and make necessary adjustments to prevent accidents and injuries.

What factors are involved in the stability calculation of truck mounted lifting systems?

The stability calculation of truck mounted lifting systems takes into account the weight of the load, the weight and position of the truck, the center of gravity of the system, and the environmental conditions such as wind and terrain. These factors are crucial in determining the stability of the system and must be carefully considered in the calculation.

How is the stability of truck mounted lifting systems calculated?

The stability of truck mounted lifting systems is typically calculated using mathematical equations and computer simulations. These calculations consider the weight and position of the truck, the weight and position of the load, and the forces acting on the system, such as wind and gravity. Engineers also take into account the structural design and materials of the system to ensure its stability under various conditions.

Why is it important to regularly calculate the stability of truck mounted lifting systems?

Regularly calculating the stability of truck mounted lifting systems is important because it ensures that the system can safely and effectively lift and transport loads. As the weight and position of the load and truck may change, the stability of the system may also change. By regularly recalculating the stability, engineers can make necessary adjustments to maintain the safety and efficiency of the system.

Are there any regulations or standards for the stability of truck mounted lifting systems?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) regarding the stability of truck mounted lifting systems. These regulations and standards outline specific requirements and guidelines for the design, operation, and maintenance of these systems to ensure their stability and safety.