Friends,i thought i'd share this poem i wrote to my wonderful

• Thread starter baxishta
  • Start date
In summary, the poet reflects on the idea of love, how it is different for each person, and how it cannot be represented in a numerical way. He also writes about his wife and how she is the world to him.
baxishta
friends,

i thought i'd share this poem i wrote to my wonderful Arabic wife, Intesar. i just found out that it came in second in Allpoetry's contest for new poets in february. i hope you enjoy it!

baxishta

===

if the angel Gabriel
were to offer me three measures of grace
i’d tell him
“give them all to my Queen”

you need all three dimensions
to dance and move at will
while i need none merely to watch
in speechless admiration

in this we are different
you win by winning and i win by losing
so by losing my heart to you
we shall both win

Physics news on Phys.org

Congrats on the contest! Thank you for sharing. The poem is very sweet. :!) That's how I imagine love to be. You're being happy just because your love one is.

It is so refreshing to see an amateur poet (in terms even of the very essence of the word) to write something like this. Poetry is art, not an upchucking of emotion... or something like that.

I think the poem would be even better if you could rewrite part of the second stanza. Maybe consider removing the word "three" and replace the line with "you need all the dimensions" or "you need every dimension." This makes the object of your affection seem more powerful, less limited by some boring number. Also, since this is PF after all, try to embrace and expand on this lack of dimension you occupy at this point in time in the poem. What does it feel like to be a single point in space observing the dynamic beauty that surrounds it? This might be a bad suggestion, because it potentially lies in the face of what I most like about the poem, which is your quiet and intelligent love for your wife.

Anyways, I think the poem is great. I just really like talking about poetry, and thought that you might want to hear what other people think about it. I'd love to hear back about your thoughts on my suggestions and more importantly how you see your poem.

sourlemon,

thank you so much for your kind words. it really seems to be true for me that the more i step back and let her do her dance of life, the more i enjoy her. plus it seems like i find my real home in that place in which I've given it all away and there's no-one there but me.

bax

dmatador,

i appreciate your taking the time to give me this supportive feedback. my personality type is that i have a natural inclination toward mystical insight. i noticed that, when i tried to write regular poems to my wife, i couldn't do it. but when i tried to highlight her unique role in my inner world, the words flowed out.

here's an example called 'Nasura',

when the world has just begun
but before it has any names or forms

when i’ve just become aware of it
but before i know what it is
i call it Nasura

that’s why i say that you are the world

you are the sunshine and I am the sun
you are life and I am being
I alone exist as existence Itself

yet i am nothing without you

and here's another called 'the river',

you could no more stand still
than a river could stop running
while I couldn’t move an inch
if my life depended on it
which it does

where then can we finally meet?

let me be the rock
on your river’s bed
and as you run over me
let us embrace our love

and one more called 'the marriage of shiva and shakti',

what can I give you
that’s not yours already

I’ve never owned anything anyway
but my spiritual heart
which is my very self

non-dual love
denser than diamond
let It then be
your wedding ring

i hope you like them, and thanks again for your support.

michael

and here's a picture of us on our honeymoon in Italy, plus a diagram called 'the 3 faces of self'. (i guess 3 is the language of the mystics).

bax

Attachments

• honeymoon in Italy.jpg
    honeymoon in Italy.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 397
  • draft of '3 faces of self'.jpg
    draft of '3 faces of self'.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 491

What inspired you to write this poem?

I wrote this poem as a tribute to my friends who have been a constant source of love and support in my life. I wanted to express my gratitude and appreciation for their presence in my life.

What message do you hope to convey through this poem?

The main message of this poem is to celebrate the special bond of friendship and to remind my friends that they are loved and cherished. It also serves as a reminder to appreciate the little moments and memories shared with friends.

Can you share a favorite line or stanza from the poem?

One of my favorite lines from the poem is "Through the highs and lows, you've been my constant light, in the darkest of times, you've been my guiding sight." It highlights the unwavering support and love that friends provide even during difficult times.

Why did you choose to share this poem?

I chose to share this poem because I believe that friendship is a beautiful and important aspect of life that deserves to be celebrated. I also hope that it resonates with others who may have similar experiences with their own friends.

Do you have any advice for maintaining strong friendships?

My advice for maintaining strong friendships is to always communicate openly and honestly, make time for each other, and show appreciation and support for one another. It's also important to be understanding and forgiving, as every friendship will face challenges and conflicts.