In a certain region, the earth's magnetic field has a magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Earth's magnetic field, an electrically charged bullet, and the determination of the bullet's electric charge based on given values. The solution involves using the equation q = f / vBsin(theta) and applying the right hand rule. The resulting answer is negative, indicating a negative charge on the bullet. However, there may be some discrepancy in the final answer due to rounding.
cclement524

Homework Statement

In a certain region, the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 5.30e-5 T and is directed north at an angle of 57° below the horizontal. An electrically charged bullet is fired north and 11° above the horizontal, with a speed of 681 m/s. The magnetic force on the bullet is 2.90e-10 N, directed due east. Determine the bullet's electric charge, including its algebraic sign (+ or −).

Homework Equations

q = f / vBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

q = 2.90e-10 N / (681)(5.30e-5)(sin 11+57)

-9e-9

My answer is negative according to the right hand rule.

I'm wrong, but I don't know where I went wrong. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The calc looks good to me but I get a slightly different answer. Surely you are not supposed to round it to one significant digit?

1. What is the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field in a certain region?

The magnitude of the earth's magnetic field can vary depending on the location and time, but on average it is around 25-65 microteslas (μT).

2. How is the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of the earth's magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field?

The magnitude of the earth's magnetic field can be influenced by various factors such as the geographic location, altitude, and geological features of the region, as well as solar activity and the movement of the earth's tectonic plates.

4. Why is the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field important?

The earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting our planet from harmful solar radiation and charged particles, as well as helping animals and humans navigate and orient themselves.

5. Can the magnitude of the earth's magnetic field change over time?

Yes, the earth's magnetic field is not constant and can change in both strength and direction over time. This phenomenon is known as geomagnetic reversal and has occurred several times in the earth's history.