Transient Thermal Analysis- Ansys APDL Help

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a transient analysis of a thin composite film with specific temperature and time requirements. They are having trouble understanding how to define these parameters in the load step options. They clarify that the initial temperature is applied to the same region and the model is kept in an environment of 505K for 0.04 seconds before being removed. They also mention having trouble modeling multiple layers of different materials and thicknesses.
deveshp1
Hello All,

I have to do a transient analysis of thin composite film. Following are the requirements:

1. Time t=0 to t=0.01, Initial condition of Temperature=300 K.
2. Time t=0.01 to t=0.05, Temperature=505 K.
3. Run the analysis from t=0.05 until a stable solution is obtained.

I tried to read through the help file for load step options but couldn't understand where could i define such parameters.

Please help!

Thanks in Advance

Devesh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would the first "initial" temperature affect the evolution of the system after it has been reset with the second "initial" temperature? Perhaps I do not understand your description correctly. Are these initial conditions applied to the same regions?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, The region is originally at ambient conditions and at time t=0.01 sec the it is subjected to a temperature of 505 K for the next 0.04 sec

What do you mean by "subjected"? Is it placed in an atmosphere of 505K for 0.4s? Or something else? And what happens after that?

One can make best progress on a discussion forum by providing as many relevant details as possible at the very beginning. That way it minimizes the time lost in going back and forth, trying to understand the problem.

I am sorry for the insufficient details. Yes, the model is kept in the environment of 505K for a period of 0.04 sec and then the atmosphere is suddenly removed. I have to run the analysis until a stable solution is obtained.

Also I have one more problem. I have to model 4 layers of composite materials out of which 3 layers are made of shell elements and 1 layer of solid element. All the layers have different material properties and thicknesses. How can I do that? All the layers have lXb the same.

Thanks for your help!

What is Transient Thermal Analysis?

Transient Thermal Analysis is a simulation technique used to study the temperature distribution and heat transfer within a system over time. It takes into account the changing thermal conditions and how they affect the system's behavior.

What is Ansys APDL?

Ansys APDL (ANSYS Parametric Design Language) is a powerful scripting language used in Ansys software for performing simulations and analyses. It allows for more advanced customization and automation of simulations.

How is Transient Thermal Analysis performed in Ansys APDL?

Transient Thermal Analysis in Ansys APDL involves defining the geometry, materials, boundary conditions, and loads of the system, setting up the simulation parameters, and solving the system over a specified time period. The results can then be analyzed to understand the temperature distribution and heat transfer within the system.

What are the benefits of using Transient Thermal Analysis?

Transient Thermal Analysis allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the thermal behavior of a system as it takes into account the changing thermal conditions. It can also help in identifying potential design flaws and optimizing the system for better performance.

What are some common applications of Transient Thermal Analysis?

Transient Thermal Analysis is used in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, electronics, and manufacturing, to study and improve the thermal performance of systems. It is commonly used for analyzing heat exchangers, electronic components, and thermal insulation materials.