Some theories concerning potential difference

In summary: This is because the direction of the path integral determines the direction of the electric field, which then determines the sign of the electric potential.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

In my book, it says the following

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/388/unledpx.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you go from a to b, you gain potential.

Now here is my question: I thought the E-field points from + to - in that cell, so if the current is going against the E-field, why would you gain potential?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

In my book, it says the following

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/388/unledpx.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you go from a to b, you gain potential.

Now here is my question: I thought the E-field points from + to - in that cell, so if the current is going against the E-field, why would you gain potential?

Remember that electrons are actually what are being pumped by the battery action against the E field...

Since the E field "points" from + to - in the battery, which way would the electrons prefer to go if they weren't being pumped against that E-field?

please...

berkeman said:
Remember that electrons are actually what are being pumped by the battery action against the E field...

Since the E field "points" from + to - in the battery, which way would the electrons prefer to go if they weren't being pumped against that E-field?

I've undeleted a post that I made a day or two ago. I'm not sure I'm technically accurate in what I've said, but maybe it will help the discussion...

You do gain potential by moving against the electric force. The electric force wants to push positive charges towards the - terminal, so moving towards the + terminal results in higher potential energy.

Think about a ball on a hill. Pushing it up the hill (against gravity) increases its gravitational potential energy, because it can "potentially" fall back down and gain kinetic energy. Pushing it down the hill decreases its potential energy, for the opposite reason.

I ask this becuase of this video

Flip to frame 11:27 or so. Mr. Walter Lewin (I really respect this man lol), went from negative to positive and he minused the voltage drop[

In that video he states quite categorically that he is not applying KVL. He is applying Faraday's law, and he is summing the integrals of E.dl for each component as he goes around the loop.

AH shoot this wasn't the only time he did it like this, I can't find you the video right now because I am loaded with finals. Give me some time

[tex]\Delta V=-\int\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{\ell}[/tex]

Notice the negative sign.

Added in Edit:

The above is in answer to your Original Post, not a response to Lewin's video.

Last edited:
Expanding a bit more, in the steady state approximation (i.e. [itex]\partial_t \Phi_b = 0[/itex]), Faraday's Law is:
[tex]\oint\!\! \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = 0[/tex]
Since [itex]V := -\int\!\!\mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l}[/itex], this is the same as KVL but with the opposite sign. (In Faraday's Law, the integral is over the closed path of the circuit.) More concisely, if you are familiar with vector calculus, it can be written that [itex]\mathbf{E} = -\nabla V[/itex].

When using Faraday's Law instead of KVL, you can use the other condition of the steady state in place of KLL, namely that:
[tex]\oint\!\!\mathbf{j} \cdot d\mathbf{S} = 0[/itex]
Here, the integral is over a closed surface S, and j is the current density vector.

When you introduce B-fields into circuits, Faraday's Law becomes necessary, as the electric field in the circuit is no longer conservative. Thus, we have:
[tex]\oint\!\! \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = -\frac{\partial \Phi_B}{\partial t}[/tex]
where [itex]\Phi_B[/itex] is magnetic flux, [itex]\Phi_B = \oint\!\!\mathbf{B} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/itex]. (The integral for magnetic flux is over a closed surface...)

jhae2.718 said:
Expanding a bit more, in the steady state approximation (i.e. [itex]\partial_t \Phi_b = 0[/itex]), Faraday's Law is:
[tex]\oint\!\! \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = 0[/tex]
Since [itex]V := -\int\!\!\mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l}[/itex], this is the same as KVL but with the opposite sign. (In Faraday's Law, the integral is over the closed path of the circuit.) More concisely, if you are familiar with vector calculus, it can be written that [itex]\mathbf{E} = -\nabla V[/itex].

When using Faraday's Law instead of KVL, you can use the other condition of the steady state in place of KLL, namely that:
[tex]\oint\!\!\mathbf{j} \cdot d\mathbf{S} = 0[/itex]
Here, the integral is over a closed surface S, and j is the current density vector.

When you introduce B-fields into circuits, Faraday's Law becomes necessary, as the electric field in the circuit is no longer conservative. Thus, we have:
[tex]\oint\!\! \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = -\frac{\partial \Phi_B}{\partial t}[/tex]
where [itex]\Phi_B[/itex] is magnetic flux, [itex]\Phi_B = \oint\!\!\mathbf{B} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/itex]. (The integral for magnetic flux is over a closed surface...)

You are not making this easier...

Basically, Faraday's Law and KVL are equivalent in certain cases* with the exception that the answers will have different signs.

The difference in signs comes from the definition of electric potential in terms of electric field, which is:
[tex]V = -\int\!\!\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}[/tex].

*Where there is no time-dependent magnetic field.

Also, I forgot to mention that the signs of the circuital elements using Faraday's Law is dependent on the direction you take the path integral. (E.g. the signs will be opposite if you integrate CW or CCW.)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a key factor in determining the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference related to electric current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to electric current. This means that as voltage increases, the current also increases. However, the resistance of the circuit also affects the amount of current that flows.

3. What are the different types of potential difference?

There are two types of potential difference: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC is a constant flow of current in one direction, while AC is a flow of current that periodically changes direction.

4. What are some theories that explain potential difference?

One theory is Ohm's Law, which states that the potential difference across a conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it, given a constant temperature. Another theory is the concept of electric fields, which explains that potential difference is caused by the movement of charged particles in response to an electric field.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It is typically connected in parallel with the component or circuit being measured.