Why is S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate SO MUCH more stable than its R enantiomer?

• Thread starter ericvon11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stable
In summary, the hydroxy group on the enantiomer of R-ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate makes it less stable than the enantiomer of S-ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate.
ericvon11
The boiling point for R-ethyl 3-hyrdoxybutanoate is about 75 C
The boiling point for S-ethyl 3-hyrdoxybutanoate is about 180 C

How!?
How is the same molecule that much more stable just by rearrangement of the hydroxy group. I'm trying to explain how some R enantiomer may boil off along with ether if heated enough but I'd like to explain why it is that the R enantiomer is less stable

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This must be wrong (the spelling of the substance name is also wrong by the way). Enantiomers have the same boiling point under normal conditions. Were it true you'd have a wonderful business opportunity separating the enantiomes and selling them. I checked the data at Sigma Aldrich and I suspect that is where you have got your data because I find the same odd difference. The racemate is stated to have a bp of 170 oC so the higher value is probably true.

Woops! I meant hydroxy. Hm, maybe I read this was under pressure. My lab book says 180-182 for the s enantiomer. I'm still confused as to why the re face of ethyl acetoacetate is so much more favorable in my reduction reaction using alcohol dehydrogenase. Any clue?

Yes, with the dehydrogenase it has nothing to do with stability. It is related to the lack of symmetry in the enzyme active site. If I remember correctly there are some rules of thumb to predict which enantiomer that predominates for a new substrate but the thumb of those rules tend to be rather thick so often you get what you get.
At pdb there are lots of structures here is a relevant one showing an inhibitor bound to the active site: http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/explore.do?structureId=1AXE

cool, that helps. Basically, I've taken it that the reason why I got 92 percent S in this reaction of yeast alcohol dehydrogenase and acetoacetate is because NADH can only donate to the acetoacetate from one side that fits (the S). And the small amount of R would likely be from induced fit model meaning that the enzyme changes to fit some si faced acetoacetates making R enantiomers. This however must take longer than the S and thus is less. Does that sound right, to your knowledge?
Edit: Fits from one side (re face creating an S)

Exactly!

Thank you so much. I've been trying to explain this lab for the entire day and couldn't quite get it. I appreciate the help!

1. Why is S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate more stable than its R enantiomer?

The stability of a molecule is determined by its spatial arrangement and interactions with other molecules. In the case of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate, the S enantiomer has a more compact and symmetrical structure compared to the R enantiomer. This allows for stronger intermolecular forces and a lower energy state, making it more stable.

2. What role does chirality play in the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate?

Chirality, or the presence of non-superimposable mirror images, plays a crucial role in the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate. The S and R enantiomers have different three-dimensional structures, leading to different interactions with surrounding molecules and varying degrees of stability.

3. How does the presence of a hydroxyl group affect the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate?

The hydroxyl group in S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate contributes to its stability by allowing for stronger hydrogen bonding interactions. This increases the overall strength of the molecule and reduces its susceptibility to degradation or chemical reactions.

4. Is the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate solely based on its enantiomeric form?

No, the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate is also influenced by other factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules. However, the enantiomeric form is a significant contributing factor to its stability.

5. Can the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate be modified by altering its chemical structure?

Yes, the stability of S-Ethyl 3-hydroxybutanoate can be modified by introducing chemical modifications such as substitutions, additions, or substitutions of functional groups. These changes can alter the intermolecular interactions and ultimately affect the stability of the molecule.