What defines the Bush posse: conservative or liberal?

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of liberalism and conservatism, with some participants sharing their personal preferences and opinions. The conversation also touches on the use of derogatory terms in political discussions and tangents to topics such as fries and hot springs. Overall, the participants express a range of views on the topic, with some stating that liberals are driven by emotions while others argue that the Bush administration is not truly conservative.
Zero
How do you define it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Zero
How do you define it?
In American?, Canadian?, French?, British?

Personally I prefer Bertrand Russelll's take on the subject:

"The essence of the liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment. "

Seeing an elderly woman having difficulty crossing the street, the liberal person would assist her and feel immense gratification for doing so. The conservative would assist the woman but would derive no mental reward for the deed, merely considering it a proper duty to perform.

Simply put, liberals are driven by emotions, sometimes at the expense of rational reasoning. When discussing issues, liberals are prone to using derogatory terms, lacking a logical and factual basis to support arguments.

Originally posted by GENIERE
Seeing an elderly woman having difficulty crossing the street, the liberal person would assist her and feel immense gratification for doing so. The conservative would assist the woman but would derive no mental reward for the deed, merely considering it a proper duty to perform.

Simply put, liberals are driven by emotions, sometimes at the expense of rational reasoning. When discussing issues, liberals are prone to using derogatory terms, lacking a logical and factual basis to support arguments.
DO you have any 'logical and factual' support for that?

When discussing issues, liberals are prone to using derogatory terms, lacking a logical and factual basis to support arguments.

As opposed to talk radio personalities and their cronies who spit out the word "liberal" as an insult and as the cause to all the world's problems?

Originally posted by enigma
As opposed to talk radio personalities and their cronies who spit out the word "liberal" as an insult and as the cause to all the world's problems?

Post it in the 'Conservative' thread, if you would?

Liberals are progressives

Conservatives are regressives

The finest Liberals are Conservative, ray b is right, but he's talking about economics.
Funny how those words have political as well as economic meanings. The conservatives, as they've styled themselves, wish to give all the Republic's money to the rich, and consolidate its power at the pentagon. Was this like the change of Rome's Republic to an Empire, or was it like the fall of the Empire?
Ben Franklin is a superb Liberal, FDR is obviously progressive but not so multi-cultural as Kennedy or Clinton, I think.

Well, I think that I am going to apply a "Liberal" amount of sauce, to my "conservative" portion of fries.

You use sauce on fries. How repugnant! I use ketch-up usually but if feeling somewhat buoyant, I use catch-up. Those times requiring a tantalizing bit of piquancy are reserved for catsup.

You use sauce on fries. How repugnant! I use ketch-up usually but if feeling somewhat buoyant, I use catch-up. Those times requiring a tantalizing bit of piquancy are reserved for catsup.
BBQ sauce, with curd cheese, called a "Poutine", 20 minutes later and you will feel your blood vessels responding 'conservetively' to the, now, 'liberal' heart-rate you get!

Are you from Canada? I had some gravy-fries at Liard hot springs once.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Are you from Canada? I had some gravy-fries at Liard hot springs once.
YUP! Like the springs at Liard too, the alpha pool and the beta pool, got a really nice 'pic' of me swimming/soaking in the beta pool.

Did you go there prior to the fire that burned out the forest near there, as I was there both before, and after, the fire. (intersting to see the difference)

Or where you there before, or after, the guy was killed by the Bear?

We stopped there in summer 1998 and new-year 1999/2000. That place is wierd, because it is SO far from anything civilizational.
We stopped at a hotel in Tok, on the way south, and the only thing on the cable was a home video of people being chased down by bears (and taping it!). So this guy is up a little tree and there's a bear intimidating him and he's yelling "go away bear!" over and over... yikes.

Sorry Zero!
So you were there after both events.
Yes it is far from anything/everything, then again, I've been north of that, in Inuvik, that's out there, if you are looking for privacy.
(I was, sorta, parked on the road and had a 'campstove lunch' little over an hours time, and not a sound, a soul, nothing but silence, B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!)

Let's check this out, if you would please?http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.php?sid=12756&mode=nested&order=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Franken is a funny guy. It makes me wonder- the Bush posse is not conservative, definitely not liberal, what are they? The Democratic potential challengers are basically not liberal - Dean wants to repeal the tax cuts and Liberman comes off as being very conservative when it comes to foreign policies.
To the public, the liberal candidate is whoever the conservative candidate tells them is liberal, like a scarlet letter. That's what GWB said, "he's {Gore} the liberal candidate, and I'm the conservative candidate"
Just another lie.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
(SNIP) the Bush posse is not conservative, definitely not liberal, what are they? (SNoP)
Ahem, four former oil executives?

1. What is the definition of a liberal?

A liberal is a person who believes in individual freedom and equality, and supports government intervention to promote social and economic justice.

2. How is being a liberal different from being a conservative?

While both liberals and conservatives share a belief in individual freedom, liberals tend to support more government involvement in promoting social and economic justice, while conservatives tend to favor limited government intervention and prioritize individual responsibility.

3. Are all Democrats considered liberals?

No, not all Democrats are considered liberals. While the Democratic Party tends to align more with liberal values, there are also moderate and conservative Democrats.

4. What are some common policy stances of liberals?

Some common policy stances of liberals include support for universal healthcare, gun control measures, environmental protection, LGBTQ+ rights, and immigration reform.

5. How does the term "liberal" differ in different countries?

The term "liberal" can have different meanings in different countries. In some countries, it may refer to a political party or ideology, while in others it may refer to a more general belief in individual freedom and equality. Additionally, the specific policies and stances that are considered "liberal" may vary between countries.