Electron flow over a conducting surface of variable resistivity

In summary, the conversation discusses a setup involving a conducting surface and a battery, and the question of how to determine the current density. One person suggests that the current would flow through a large area of the conductor, but admits uncertainty. Another person brings up the possibility of using Maxwell's equations to approach the problem, while also mentioning the potential involvement of variational calculus. The first person acknowledges that their previous statement was just a guess.
fyzxfreak
Hello fellow physics-people,

I was just thinking about the following setup:
We have a conducting surface (with smoothly varying resistivity) hooked up to some battery with the wires contacting the surface at two arbitrary points, A and B. How would we go about figuring out the current density?

Would the electrons flow in a simple curve from point A to B (to follow the path of least resistance) or would they spread out (as there might be a configuration in which parallel flow reduces mutual electric repulsion)?

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the current would flow through a large area of the conductor. But I'm not sure.

Is there a systematic method of approaching this problem? i.e. application of Maxwell's equations, etc.

=EDIT= There'd definitely be some variational calculus involved (for the different paths from point A to point B). Yeah... this problem does not seem particularly simple anymore, haha.

Last edited:
fyzxfreak said:
Is there a systematic method of approaching this problem? i.e. application of Maxwell's equations, etc.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer. I was basing my guess on knowing that the more conductor a current can flow through, the less the resistance overall. I would think this is balanced against the resistance caused by the longer path some of the current takes, resulting in an equilibrium somewhere. But all this is merely a guess.

I would approach this scenario by first considering the fundamental principles of electricity and conductors. In this case, the conducting surface with variable resistivity would act as a conductor, allowing the flow of electrons when a potential difference (provided by the battery) is applied.

The flow of electrons in a conductor is governed by Ohm's Law, which states that the current density is directly proportional to the electric field and inversely proportional to the resistivity. In this case, as the resistivity of the conducting surface is smoothly varying, the current density would also vary along the surface.

To determine the current density, we would need to calculate the electric field at each point on the surface. This can be done using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance between the points A and B.

Now, to answer the question of whether the electrons would flow in a simple curve or spread out, it would depend on the specific configuration of the conducting surface and the potential difference applied. In general, electrons tend to follow the path of least resistance, so they would flow in a curve from point A to B. However, depending on the distribution of resistivity along the surface, there could be cases where parallel flow reduces mutual electric repulsion and the electrons spread out.

In conclusion, to determine the current density in this scenario, we would need to calculate the electric field at each point on the conducting surface and consider the distribution of resistivity. Further analysis and experimentation may be needed to fully understand the behavior of the electrons in this setup.

1. What is electron flow over a conducting surface of variable resistivity?

Electron flow over a conducting surface of variable resistivity refers to the movement of electrons through a material that has varying levels of resistance. The resistance of a material is determined by its resistivity, which is a measure of how easily electrons can flow through it.

2. How does the resistivity of a material affect electron flow?

The resistivity of a material plays a crucial role in determining the ease or difficulty of electron flow. Materials with high resistivity will impede the flow of electrons, while materials with low resistivity will allow electrons to flow more freely.

3. What factors can influence the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material can be influenced by factors such as temperature, impurities, and the structure of the material. As temperature increases, so does the resistivity of most materials. The presence of impurities can also increase resistivity, as they create obstacles for electron flow. Additionally, the arrangement of atoms in a material can affect its resistivity.

4. How is the flow of electrons affected by a change in resistivity?

A change in resistivity will directly impact the flow of electrons through a material. If the resistivity increases, the flow of electrons will decrease, and vice versa. This is because resistivity is directly proportional to resistance, which is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electrons.

5. Why is understanding electron flow over a conducting surface of variable resistivity important?

Understanding electron flow over a conducting surface of variable resistivity is crucial for many applications in science and technology. It can help in the design and development of electronic devices, as well as in the study of materials and their properties. It also plays a significant role in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and materials science.